Majestic Symphonic Grand Timpani

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by RJMorris, Feb 22, 2005.

1. RJMorris

RJMorris Member

We are in the beginning stages of evaluating a set of timpani for purchase. The Majestic line is brand new to the US. That being the case, I was wondering if any of the percussionists on the list might have some insights to this line of instrument. Pro/cons, likes/dislikes, etc. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Rusty Morris
    Natural State Brass Band

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Majestic
    US
    Rusty Morris Natural State Brass Band
    set of timpani
  3. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

We have two sets of timps; our bandroom copper and our travelling "gimp" timps - I think they're Majestic.
    Go to our website and email Mark Landon, he'll be able to tell you all about them.

4. RJMorris

RJMorris Member

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info. I've been to your website and emailed the percussion section except for Mark. His addy bounced back to me. Thanks for the help!

Rusty

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  5. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary Member

I suggest you give JaM Percussion an E-mail: www.jampercussion.com

Graham Johns there is percussionist with the Royal Liverpool Phil. as well as running a very successful percussion business.

As for the Majestics, I can't really comment, as I own a set of Premier Timps - the main thing to be wary of is the pedal mechanism - if different to the present set, it can take a lot of getting used to, especially in quick changes!

Good luck!

6. fartycat

fartycat Member

I've played the Symphonic Grand timps from Majestic and they are very nice. They are far better (and cheaper I think) than the equivalent Premier or Yamaha top end models.

The only thing I found was that with the drums tuned low, the pedals were uncomfortably too high off the ground for my liking (I'm quite short) when pedalling.

I borrowed the set and it was moved for me. So you'd need to find someone who actually owns some and ask them what they are like travelling (my premiers hate it) and whether they are sturdy enough to survive years of gigging. They certainly looked the part though.

7. Jaap Ruisch

Jaap Ruisch New Member

For interested people from the UK. The Majestic Symphonic Grand timpani are used by the Black Dyke Band and also Ray Payne is providing these timpani on stage at most prestigious contests in the UK!

8. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

Ray Payn's Majestic Symphonic Grands are lovely. Defo worth having a look at them.

9. Jaap Ruisch

Jaap Ruisch New Member

Symphonic Grand are also played by Grahame King of the Birmingham Royal Ballet and soon will be used in the West End Musical Wizzard of Oz!

10. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

Having played on Ray's Timps at the UniBrass contest, I can vouch for their quality of sound and ease of changing note. :clap:
    I just wish I could work out how to operate the fine tuner on them!! :p

Darryl

11. Do you work for majestic? you seem to know a lot about there endorsees ;) if so, can i have a free set please? i think these were the ones supplied by ray payne at the preston guild contest. very nice indeed!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Majestic
    US
    Rusty Morris Natural State Brass Band
    set of timpani
  13. Jaap Ruisch

Jaap Ruisch New Member

Yes, I am sales manager at Majestic Holland and no sorry we never give free timpani! About the fine tuners; there are 2 fine tuners on each timp. First is hand fine tuner and not only suitable for fine tuning, but also to increase the range of each timpani. Also needed if you play with calf skin heads. Besides that all Symphonic Grand are equiped with an unique foot fine tuner, which can be used when during playing you hear that you are a little out of tune.

14. Matt the Shed

Matt the Shed Member

Nice! :clap:

Jaap, I wonder if you could comment on somethng for me? I've been doing some research on portable timpani and have a thread open at http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=43833. As a fan of the Symphonic Grand timpani, but also someone interested in more portable timpani, I'd love to know how the Prophonic Timpani compare to the Symphonic Grand timpani.

Cheers,

Matt

15. marting2004

marting2004 New Member

We at Fairey (Geneva) Band have just got a set of Majestic Symphonics - quite simply the best on the market - bar none.
    Highly recommended and Majestic are a great company to deal with - speak directly with Jaap at Majestic, great guy to deal with!!

Martin Gernon, percussionist and Chairman, Fairey (Geneva) Band

16. Jaap Ruisch

Jaap Ruisch New Member

Thank you Martin for your nice words! For Rusty Morris please contact Chris Hankes at KHS-A, Mount Juliet TN. Chris is professional percussionist and product manager at KHS-A our distributor in the US. chankes@jupitermusic.com. He can inform you about the product and where to purchase!