Maj. G.H. Willcocks: The Champions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Steve Marcus, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

Our band is performing this march in our concert this Sunday, and I was just asked to provide "verbal programme notes."

Help, please!
  2. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Major George Willcocks wrote The Champions for Black Dyke during his time as their professional conductor (1957 to 1961). The last section of the march features the hymn tune Maccabeus to which the words 'Thine is the glory, risen, conquering Son' are sung.
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

And if in doubt, just make something up.

Ask Harlow Brass about "Mellow Mood" and "A Swinging Safari"...
  4. Bob Stevenson

Bob Stevenson Member

Major G.H. Wilcocks MBE, MVO, ARCM, psm was Director of Music to H.M. Irish Guards during the WW2 period, 1938 to 1948. Upon retiring from the army he was musical director of the Ford Motor Co Band.
  5. bvincen9

bvincen9 Member

Hi steve,

are you aware that "The Major" also wrote a march A.A.B.B ( All American Band Masters Band) when he conducted the band in 1959 in Chicago. It is for military band but i had permission to arrange it for Brass Band a few years ago by the publishers. They have the copyright.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I take it the reason you're playing it is because you've won something?

If so you could always talk about the contest success instead.....
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There is some information about the Major here.
  8. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

According to the 150 yrs CD notes, Major Willcocks wrote The Champions for Dyke when he was their professional conductor from 1957 -61, a partnership which won the Open in 57 and the Nationals in 59 and 61.
  9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Think that in the context of this march the tune is used for its original words - "See the conquering hero comes "
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

11. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Might have been relevant in June 2004 ;), not sure now