Mailing Scam?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by I bang AND Blow!, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Had a yellow card posted to me, not addressed to anyone in particular, but the address has been hand written. All it says is 'COULD YOU PLEASE CONTACT OUR MAILING DEPARTMENT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 9am - 5pm MONDAY TO FRIDAY'. It then gives the following number 020 8255 6645 etx 4402. The company claims to be called ECI Management Services, the return address supplied is P.O. Box 508A, Surbiton, Surrey KT6 4YG.

Just wondering whether anyone else has had a card like this, and whether or not it's genuine, or a scam, as I suspect. My intital thought was that it may be genuine as it's an 020 number which I think is London (?), but perhaps they can divert your call to a different number that costs a bomb?

I've done a google and can't find anythng, but I'm not the best at finding things like this on the net.

Anyone else heard of this company?
  2. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Not heard of it, no, but you're right, the 020 number is London and also Surbiton isn't too far away from me... the number seems right for the area though, I think.
  3. gawber

gawber Active Member

I do know of this scam

The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:
    A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a premium rate number). DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize. If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £15 for the phone call.
    If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655 or ICSTIS (the premium rate service regulator) at
  4. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I wouldn't ring it's either a scam or it's a debt collection agency
  5. on_castors

on_castors Member

Google has 46,000 entries for
    [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]eci [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]management [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]services [/SIZE][/FONT]

.... although a narrowing down to two brings details on the Money saving expert site - it is currently down, but there is a cached copy on Google servers here:

Jist is, some sort of debt agency!
  6. rutty

rutty Active Member

You can't be billed £15 for making one short call - it's impossible and the story you've quoted is a well-known urban myth (even if parts of the story are true):

You can be billed £1.50 a minute but that's only for premium lines and the number on the card from the original poster most certainly isn't.

They cannot divert your call to a premium line once you call. It should be safe to ring them although it does look a bit dodgy if you're not expecting anything or aware of a reason for the card.
  7. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Hi Laura,
    It is true that you can't be billed this much for a single telephone call, but as Rutty rightly pointed out you can be be charged a stupid amount per minute, with a minimum 'connection charge', which is where these horror stories come from of £10,15 calls etc. (5 minutes on hold = £7.50 plus say £2 connection charge, is £9.50... ow!). Anyway, that number is indeed a standard landline number for London if it begins 020, so you should be OK to give them a call and find out whats going on. As for a DCA, it is possible (you not been paying your Avon bills?!) :p . Certainly, they do use many weird and wonderful ways to collect!... not that I spend all day trying to extract money from debtors on the phone or anything....
    (one time Tubist and Credit Controller for the carnival that is ntl:Telewest...)
  8. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

As an ex BT employee I would recommend against phoning any number that you don't know and is not a local one, scammers prey on the pubic's trust in 'the system', If in doubt don't phone, and if they are kosher they will contact you directly.

Why would you need to contact their mailing department anyway?
  9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Try calling them from a payphone... or call the operator and ask for a reverse charge call. :)