Maestros Rule

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornet.kid, Jul 13, 2004.

1. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

THE SOVERIEGN IS NOT A SCRATCH ON A MAESTRO. I played a soveriegn (band one) for a couple of years and then got a Maestro - noo comparison, it outshone the besson in every area - then agiain so did the Smith-Watkins and Courtois XXL- even an Eterna was better than my bands' sovereign!
    P.S - I dont understand why your asking about cheaper "alternatives" because a Sovereign will often set you back further than a maestro
  2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I am thinking this was a reply to my other topic, but I'll play along!

Yes I've seen the price dif between the Maestro and the Sovs, but in Australia, we're talking big dollars for both models. Sometimes it's money some people (or bands even!) don't have, or never will have.

Also, sometimes people want a cheaper first instrument as they learn what is is they like about it. As someone was saying in the other thread, they like their instrument to be free blowing. Some other like the opposite. I know I love a good open blowing bass trom to a studdy small bore tenor!

Also mentioned before, some people (myself included) have a hard time getting their head around the existance of a "good Yamaha" as the majority of Yamahas have usually been avoided by the more avid of bandies. As such, everyone tends to say "Nothing beats a sov" without giving the new Maestro a blow.
  3. bennem

bennem Member

Nothing beats the Maestro until you play on a Smith Watkins........
  4. groovy

groovy Active Member

As I see it, it's a personal choice. Maybe one instrument will technically outshine another in some ways, but if you are happy with the instrument you play then it doesn't matter.
  5. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

.........And there was poor little me thinking I had a fan club there for a moment :oops: :oops: :cry:
  6. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

aaaawwww :cry:
  7. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Personally I can't stand the valves on a Smith Watkins. Ive never found one with good valves. Our principal cornet plays one and he has all sorts of trouble with it. It is nice to play though.....................
  8. bennem

bennem Member

I think the basic issue with the valves on a Smith Watkins are that they are bought from Kanstul. But Kanstul won't sell them their top of the line valves and Smith Watkins have to settle for their next best valve block.

The valves on my instrument are OK not as smooth as the Maestro valves but they perform fine. The second valve is a little tight to remove but thats all.

How the instrument plays outweighs the slightly poorer performance of the valves in comparision to the maestro in my opinion.
  9. Okiedokie of Oz

So would that mean then Kanstul make nice cornets??
  10. bennem

bennem Member

Not necessarily, just that they are willing to OEM supply valve blocks to other manufacturers.

I've never played on a kanstul so cannot comment on whether they make good or bad instruments.
  11. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

nothing beat a smith watkins until you play a prestige!!
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

For info - we have a Kanstul flugel at Wigston and it's OK. Not much to choose beetween it and the Bach Strad I play on at the mo'. The valves are alright but nothing special.

If you want a really good cornet seek out an old round stamp sov. Mine is from one of the first years they made them and it is superb.

...although thats probably not much help if you wanted a new cornet.... :roll:
  13. Okiedokie of Oz

It all helps, guys!
  14. cornetcheese

cornetcheese Member

I think it comes down to the individual instrument. I used to play on a new sovreign which I found ok, then changed to a Maestro on the recommendation of my teacher, but after a while regretted it - found it to be much worse than I initially thought! Decided to sell it after not playing it for years (using band instruments instead) and then got given an old sovreign by a band which has beaten all the others hands down!

Must be personal preference too I guess!
  15. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

It is best to select instruments individually.Even the makers acknowledge this. They allow professionals to visit their factory to select their instrument from a batch.The instruments not selected by the pro then go to the dealers for general sale.
    When Yamaha first started they had a reputation for shoddiness.Now their quality control is very good to everyone's benefit.
    If you can't individually select look for an instrument made by a firm with good quality control,and check if you don't know.Otherwise it might be worthwhile to try the 'smaller' firms or less fashionable ones.They can't rely on volume sales and have points to prove to ensure continued success and growth.
    By the way the best Baritone I ever played was a second hand Amati I bought for £145!!
  16. Okiedokie of Oz

How do you suggest people who live half a day away from the nearest stockist "try before they buy?" You'd like to know that no matter what brand you buy, will come with a certain standard or expectation.....

What brands do you class as lower quality? It's easy to spot opinions on the best now.......
  17. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

O.K. Chris if you don't select you instruments individually you may get stuff not to your liking.Dont go just on reputation. Instruments made by the same people on the same day in the same factory vary. They all have individual properties, some maybe good,some bad. The choice is yours if you can afford the time and money to do so.[Yes I am aware of the vast spaces and relatively sparse population in Australia].
    Just as a caution for those who take,or have to, what is given ,when the Lottery in UK started some Bands got new instruments,or a proportion of them via dealers.The horror stories are still circulating to this day!!
  18. Offbeats

Offbeats Member

Amen to that... These old sovs are pretty awesome...They're solid as a rock and produce a clear and dark tone...They don't make valves like those anymore either...

That's my opinion anyways...
  19. Pete_The_Sop

Pete_The_Sop Member

well when i was playing Bb i had the pleasure of selecting my own cornet

i went down to the shop and tried several intruments

i like the yammy, but that was the 2nd or 3rd yammy i tried it was the best of the ones i tried so it's always good to try ones

and when the band got the soprano i'm playing on it was the 3rd or forth one i tried b4 i said i'd keep it
  20. Meerkat

Meerkat New Member

Have just changed from a Maestro to a new Sovereign and, after struggling for months with top notes on the Maestro, am finding the Sovereign an improvement, personally I find it easier to blow and can acquire a better tone.