Maestro !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robin Norman, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Did anyone see this last night ? A reality contest on BBC 2 where celebs are learning to conduct an orchestra.

If you didn't see it, I'd recommend you watch it on iPlayer, made for interesting viewing. Some bits made me laugh, particularly John Snow.

Try the co-ordination exercises on there as well, I've tried it with my colleagues this morning and no-one could do them. (apart from me !! :D)

2. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I saw it and have invited Jane Asher to cover you when you can't make it lol! John Snow was dreadful. Not sure why that woman judge laid into Katie Derham quite so much, she wasn't that bad.

Can't wait till they have to conduct something with time and tempo changes.

3. BrassFlyer

BrassFlyer Member

Really enjoyed the programme, it also made me laugh and cringe abit at times!!! Thought a couple of the pro s were a bit wild....scary

4. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

i thought it was great and it shows some people, who think conducting is just waving a baton around for show, that there is alot more to it!

5. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

Well, at least I suppose she'd be nicer to look at, might encourage everyone to look up more lol! :D

Thought we'd try the body language exercises on Thursday so that we can all 'express ourselves' !!!!!;););)

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

So, Robin, did they cover how to do your "octopus knitting fog" third to fourth beat movement? :biggrin:

7. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

So you've witnessed that one have you Will? :wink:

Did you hear the sexist idiot comment to Jane Asher " you are a gorgeous sexy lady!" What's that got to do with her conducting?

Jon Snow was hilarious. How he managed to get 3, 4, 5 and even 6 beats into a piece that didn't change tempo was amazing. Even funnier was that some of the orchestra tried to follow him. Car crash time.

Katie Derham was criticised for conducting with her head and hips as well as her hands. I was following her hips but not sure the orchestra should have been. :confused:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  8. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

I thought I had missed an episode but was glad to see it from the start!

Was very interesting to watch - especialy John Snow!

Can't wait until next weeks episode! - LIVE!

9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Caught this on iPlayer as I missed the beginning yesterday, and its the funniest thing watching the orchestra trying to follow the erratic beat!

Another example of 'Which part of the circle would you like me to come in on?'!

The ones with some musical ability (for example, knowing the difference between 2/4 and 4/4 Mr James!) have got an obvious advantage.

10. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I predict Jane and Sue and Goldie in the final 3 with david soul as the dark horse. Goldie to win even if he cannot read music

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC 2
    John Snow.
    iPlayer
    celebs
    John Snow
  12. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Did I tell you I can't make rehearsal tomorrow, if this is what ur planning! ;)

13. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Have played under a great number of conductors who should watch this programme and try to understand that you don't just stand there flapping your arms about, lol.

I thought the apporoach Goldie took was very interesting - I often use graphical notation when working on composition with less classical-musically experienced students and it was fascinating watching him transfer that approach (which has obviously worked very well for him) into reading a full score - I have a feeling he could do very well, he has a lot of musicality in his performances and I can see him being able to transfer that to classical fairly easily - it will certainly have passion.

I hope that the future programmes have some aspects of the "conductors" rehearsing the orchestra - that is where most conductors make the biggest impact. I would suggest that being able to take a succesful rehearsal would show more about who the potentially great conductors might be than standing in front of the orchestra, in concert, will do.

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I watched last night's programme with interest, particularly in the light of a discussion on here a while back regarding the difficulty of any instrumental group really following a bad conductor. Whilst there were times when the orchestra, or possibly more correctly, some of the orchestra, were trying to follow accurately the indications given, there were also several occasions where the sense of corporate music-making seemed to take over, and things made musical sense even when the conductor was putting in extra beats left, right and centre.

I certainly don't envy the players trying to do justice to the concept, and shall be interested to see how things develop over the next few weeks.

15. BrassFlyer

BrassFlyer Member

I see you are from Farnham, was wondering if you know of any bands is this close area with any cornet slots? (Hope ok to post here!!)

16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Saw this programme too although my recording finished just before the end - did anyone get voted off as it said or is that next time?

David Soul's mentor, Natalia Luis-Bassa, is the recently appointed Musical Director of Sheffield's Hallam Sinfonia.

17. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Repeated on BBC4 at 22:00 this evening if you want the verdict on Peter Snow...

18. hornplaya89

hornplaya89 Member

Haha! Possibly the best bit was John Snow telling Peter that 'when you get to a piece that really makes your balls tingle, thats when you go ......BAAAAH! BRING IT UP BOYS!!'

Peter Snow was voted off by the orchestra...not surprisingly!

I thought Sue Perkins did very well and didn't spend all her time trying to be the comedienne that she is, unlike Bradley Walsh

19. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yes - I agree. I suppose the problem is the people standing in front of the conductor have more experience in orchestral playing and more of an idea of what is going on, so they just get on with it, after being given a tempo to start at. Probably the best example of that was John Snow's last performance of the Prokofiev - he started so s...l ...... o .........w ........l ......... y ... Which was funny because the upbeat was nowhere near the tempo he set in the first bar.

I good example of this within banding is at a beer night/park job/concert when the conductor gets a member of the audience (child or over enthusiastic adult!) to conduct the band, and after you all attempt to start together, you ignore the flapping going on in front of you!!

20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Along with the comedy 'hold the last note on until they cut you off'.....or until the MD has to run back on stage to help them ;)

21. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

What did you think of Goldie?
    I enjoyed the programme mostly but found Mr James very annoying with his hand waving about in the middle of the piece - seemingly flying off on it's own!!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC 2
    John Snow.
    iPlayer
    celebs
    John Snow