Maestro Quirks

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetshell, Apr 10, 2005.

1. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

Does anybody here own a Maestro with Quirks??!

I've had mine about 2 years now, and it tends to collect a lot of water in the 2nd Valve - and i have to remove the slide to empty it [or else i gargle a lot!!]
    (- i met one other person with the exact same problem on this instrument)

Also a friend of mine has an older model- and his collects water in the bend just before the bell. he has to 'roll' it to get it out.

I wondered if anybody else has similar problems- or they are one off - or bad workman ship?

Other than this I love my Maestro....and it performs excellently in all areas... :tongue:

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

My Maestro Tenor Horn likes to collect water in the 1st valve slide, I have to keep pulling it out, emptying it, then spending about 5 mins tryign to get it back in!!
  3. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

The triggers have been poor...
    I have been told that they are very easily misaligned and even when inline are too airtight. This leads to them not always returning fully.
    I've not heard of problems with water builing up in odd places before tho.
  4. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

Mine never had that problem.
    I seemed to get most of my water in the 3rd valve slide, which wasn't a problem with it's water key.
  5. Owen S

Owen S Member

I've had my (large bore) Maestro for about four years now, and I much prefer it to the band's old Sovereign I was playing before.

I have two minor problems with it: Firstly, top A is difficult to hit, more so than higher notes in the same chromatic. This may also apply to other notes like the top C# in the rep part of Malaguena as well. (Really though, who am I trying to kid? :D ) Secondly, the 3rd valve trigger spring breaks too often. That said, this is unlikely to be a problem unless you're playing 2nd or 3rd cornet.

I've just got my instrument out and it's difficult to work out how water can collect in the 2nd valve slide. My poorly-informed guess is that you either have a partial blockage between the 2nd and 3rd valve or one of your valves isn't aligned properly.

Water will collect in the tube behind before the bell in any instrument that's played horizontally or with the bell pointing upwards all the time. That's not an instrument-specific problem.
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi shell,
    i've had a think about this one after you asked me earlier, and all though not a problem for me, my third valve slide does tend to stick. Iit sounds the same as cornet.kid describes above. other than that i love my instrument, and would change it for anything.(well maybe a new Schilke sop!)

I also used to have a problem hiting a high A on it as well, but after recently returning from a spell on sop, and using my new Schilke mouthpiece, it doesnt seem to be a problem anymore. Now wether this is as a direct result of the move back to sop and the return back to Bb, or the change of mouthpiece or not i dont know, all i do know is my range up and down the scale has improved greaty as a result
  7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I do indeed have quirks, but as this is a family forum, I will refrain from posting them on here :oops: :oops: :oops:
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... go to a brass repair shop and get a waterkey fitted! Easily solved! :)
  9. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

Like i said i have never had any other problems-

I have never had a problem with a top A (or higher)
    ......and i play on a Wick 3! ;)

I did find it difficult when i first moved off my bands soverign- but that was because i wasn't used to the large bore- and the fact it was sooooo 'free blowing'.

all valves move smoothly- triggers are excellent- my only bug is the water collecting.
    I dont think there is a blockage- i recently gave it a good going over- and i dont tend to leave it too long between cleans. I might take it in to see if the valves are aligned properly- though they work fine- so cant see that that would be the case....

p.s dont you mean Wouldn't change it for anything craig? :tongue:
  10. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

So this IS a topic about bagging conductors?? I thought so!!!

I've never playted a Maestro for a serious length of time, but I've experienced all these problems with various Euphs, baris and tubas, and my old Sov Bessie before.

I've seen the trigger problem occur in many a student quality instrument, and my semi pro Conn trumpet.

So I am inclined to say it isn't a Maestro quirk, (as much as Maestro would like us to believe that human and inanimate Maestros are all quirky!!), but a general issue with a few instruments. However, it could be something for quality Control to monitor.
  11. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Condensation forms when the warm wet air you exhale hits the cold metal of the instrument. As it forms it will run down through gravity and be moved by the air stream to collect in pools at the lowest points it can find. So could it be that you play your instrument in a position where the 2nd valve slide points downwards rather than to the side.? Perhaps you just need to hold your instrument in a more upright manner.
  12. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Do you hold your cornet in your left hand at an angle? i.e. are the valves perpendicular to the floor , or at an angle? If they are at angle, this could be why you have water collecting in the 2nd valve slide?
  13. Maestro Quirks - Loves Compliments, praise, glorification, etc... etc.... etc....
  14. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Just a short note here to explain the my name is nothing to do with music at all. The reason I am 'Maestro' is because I am an old clapped out banger, as those that met me briefly on Saturday at Hadleigh will I am sure be only too eager to testify to. :oops: :oops: :oops: