Madness or what

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by johnmartin, Oct 6, 2007.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Saw this item on the BBC news website. Now I'm well aware of the rules for public performance but is this not just madness. What about cases like a bands coach driver playing the radio on the way to a contest or even a car stopped at lights playing a radio with a window down. Its just absolute madness. Surely the PRS have got better things to do with their time.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Madness
    Saw
    BBC news
    PRS
    URL
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Abolustely bizarre. :eek:

Why Kwi-Fit. There are radios everywhere. And CD's. What about all the shopping centres blaring music out? Do they have to be licensed to do that?

4. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

The PRS numbskull who thought this was a good idea should be named and shamed.

If I work from home do I need a PRS licence to switch on my radio ?

...and another thing ....

if the Kwikfit fitters are whistling while they work do they need a licence for that ?

5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

No, as long as you have a TV licence.

6. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I really don't get this. Doesn't the radio station pay the PRS to broadcast the music. Why does the listener have to pay?
    As the listener has no control over whats being broadcast how can they be charged for it - they may hate the music and would never have willingly bought it.

7. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

That's very strange indeed. I don't quite know what to make of it :confused: Seems to me that a can of worms could perhaps be opened, you can hear the radio playing in all sorts of places!

8. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Years ago I worked in a warehouse that only played the radio for 4 hours a day due to licensing and I don't recall the public ever coming near!

9. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Thats right enough, you do need a licence to play the radio or other copyrighted music in a public place. When I worked in Somerfield, we asked about having music all year round - and not the usual Christmas carols, and we were turned down flat, the company were quoted rather a large sum of money for licences, so decided against it. Spar and Morissons however have their own radio station that is piped into their stores - I dunno how that affects matters :confused:

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

There's nothing bizarre about it - and if you're being legal about it, licensing things like this has pretty much always been there.

For more details on the licences required for background / call waiting / clubs / pubs / A. N. Other Public place, I suggest reading the MCPS - PRS Alliance website, the appropriate page of which can be found HERE.

11. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

If this has been the legal case for ages, then why launch this prosecution now? Have some members put pressure on the PRS to do so? Something must have changed somewhere, even if only in the minds of people sat in an office.

This looks to have a making of a case where whoever wins, everyone will end up losing.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Madness
    Saw
    BBC news
    PRS
    URL
  13. KMJ Recordings

The prosecutions are just getting more media coverage - granted the fines are going up - people are quite rightly becoming more concerned over the perceived value of their IP and associated goods.

Witness the RIAA prosecution for online music file sharing...

14. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

They pay for it.

15. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

So, wait a minute here. If I decide to drive five pals to the pub and we listen to the radio on the way, do I have to apply for a license to do this. Seems to me to be a similar case to Kwik-Fit. I suppose it hinges on two things, a) what constitutes a public place and b) how many people are needed to determine what constitutes an audience.

16. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

God knows!

The answer's probably here http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/playingbroadcastingonline/Pages/default.aspx

17. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, from my days working in the Radiocommunications Agency, I recall that car radios are exempt provided the relevant road tax has been paid.

So, no.

18. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

So, if the Kwik-Fit fitters put a car radio on and opened the windows...?! :rolleyes:

19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I recently received a telephone call at work from the PRS asking if we let our employees listen to music at work - we dont and when I told them that they asked whether it was something I would be considering in the future.

I subsequently received a follow-up letter confirming what I'd said. Clearly the PRS are on a trawl to make money from business.

So assumming that the PRS receive some revenue to enable my work force to listen to music on their car radios traveling to and from work why do they want more money from the same people if they then listen to the same radio station in a works environment? Also what about long distance lorry drivers who are able to listen to the radio without paying any extra money yet employees who are office or works bound have to be paid for?

Perhaps one reason why Kwik-Fit have been singled out is because it's a large firm that has large amounts of profit that the PRS see as an easy way of getting their hands on.

20. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Oh dear, I don't have a tv license and I put a cd on last night, am I going to be prosecuted now?

Absolutely ridiculous, What is there to say that the customers were not about to go into their car and put that particular channel on?
    Like a previous poster said, what if you have the radio on and the window down?
    What about all those yobs who drive around in their cars with the windows down and music so loud you can hear it half a mile away?

If they are going to start prosecuting every infringement, we might as well all be prosecuted because we all listen to music, we all have it on at some point whilst out and about.

Why don't we all just go to the police station and hand ourselves in? :tongue:

21. KMJ Recordings

So let me ask you all this then...

Assuming that you all work (apologies to any students ;) ), do you get paid for it? If you didn't get paid for it or at best only got paid for part of it, would you get upset about it?

Agencies like the PRS collect royalties such that people get monies that are due to them for services and goods provided - people who own the copyright in anything should be paid such fees above board and to not pay such fees is an infringement which is actionable. The problem is that it's not always transparent what you can and can't do - the copyright notice on DVDs is, though - no public performances, no coaches, don't show them in prisons....the same thing is applicable to most media that you buy.

How about me walking into a greengrocers and picking up an apple and walking out of the shop with it. The shopkeeper races after me and asks me why I've not paid for it - my answer is that I didn't feel like paying for it as it was just there and thought I'd just help myself. Oops. That'd be theft.

Regardless of what you may think, using copyrighted material without permission is theft. Full stop.

OK, there are extremes that should really be avoided (don't even get me started on the lack of fair use policy!) - but radios in work places are seen in the eyes of the law as a public performance or broadcast....to which the owners of the copyright in the material are entitled to be paid.

Funnily enough I'm one of them.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2007
  22. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Yes we all know that Keith but have the radio stations not already paid for the music they broadcast and if not should the PRS not be targeting the source rather than the end user.