Mac keyboard help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lisa, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

Aargh, I have been typing in MS word on my mac and have accidently pressed the 'insert' button which makes text type over text. :-? The thing is I don't know what combination of keys I accidently pressed to turn on the 'insert' function therefore I don't know how to turn it off!

Does anyone know what combination of keys on a mac is equivilent to the insert function so that I can turn it off?

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Long time since I've used a Mac. Is there not an insert button on the keyboard?
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Try F9 or F10. If that doesn't work, I give up and you'll need someone who's used a Mac in the last 10 years! :)

EDIT - there may also be a toggle switch in one of the MS Word Menus that controls this.....
  4. Lisa

Lisa Member

No, there isn't an insert button on the keyboard - well, not a labeled one anyway.

Incidentally, I have also not discovered where the hash key is on here yet and I also cannot find the 'delete from left to right' button (I know where the delete right to left button is). So if anyone knows where they may be also, I would be very grateful to know :)
  5. Lisa

Lisa Member

Thanks, I will give those a try!
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

According to a website I've just found, if you have a function key on your keyboard then fn-backspace should do the forward delete jobby.

When I had a Mac (I still do have it actually, I just don't use it!) the keyboard had an insert key, and a forward delete key (in fact, they were on the same button!)

I think Alt-3 should give you a hash.
  7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

pm roy taylor (cornishwomble), he uses a mac. ;)
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Lisa: advice from a mate who is a 100% mac head...

"I think a double click on the lower status bar in Word over Ins and Ovr will do it."
  9. Lisa

Lisa Member

Aw, thanks! :)

And thanks DaveR for the forward delete and hash info - it works! #### :)
  10. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Glad this helped Lisa.