Mac keyboard help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Lisa, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Lisa

Lisa Member

Aargh, I have been typing in MS word on my mac and have accidently pressed the 'insert' button which makes text type over text. :-? The thing is I don't know what combination of keys I accidently pressed to turn on the 'insert' function therefore I don't know how to turn it off!

Does anyone know what combination of keys on a mac is equivilent to the insert function so that I can turn it off?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mac
    insert
    Mac keyboard
    text type
    combination of keys
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Long time since I've used a Mac. Is there not an insert button on the keyboard?

4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Try F9 or F10. If that doesn't work, I give up and you'll need someone who's used a Mac in the last 10 years! :)

EDIT - there may also be a toggle switch in one of the MS Word Menus that controls this.....

5. Lisa

Lisa Member

No, there isn't an insert button on the keyboard - well, not a labeled one anyway.

Incidentally, I have also not discovered where the hash key is on here yet and I also cannot find the 'delete from left to right' button (I know where the delete right to left button is). So if anyone knows where they may be also, I would be very grateful to know :)

6. Lisa

Lisa Member

Thanks, I will give those a try!

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

According to a website I've just found, if you have a function key on your keyboard then fn-backspace should do the forward delete jobby.

http://davespicks.com/writing/programming/mackeys.html

When I had a Mac (I still do have it actually, I just don't use it!) the keyboard had an insert key, and a forward delete key (in fact, they were on the same button!)

I think Alt-3 should give you a hash.

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

pm roy taylor (cornishwomble), he uses a mac. ;)

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Lisa: advice from a mate who is a 100% mac head...

"I think a double click on the lower status bar in Word over Ins and Ovr will do it."

10. Lisa

Lisa Member

Aw, thanks! :)

And thanks DaveR for the forward delete and hash info - it works! #### :)

11. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Glad this helped Lisa.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Mac
    insert
    Mac keyboard
    text type
    combination of keys