Méphistopheles

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Eziachco, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Eziachco

Eziachco New Member

Hi everybody,

we're going to play Mephistophélès with my band next year. I just put a quick look at the set and there is 4 tenor horn parts (solo, 1st, 2nd and 3rd). As we have only 3 players, which parts are we supposed to keep ?

2. Go on be a 'devil' play em all

3. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Are you sure? It's more likely to be 1 x Flugel Horn and 3 x Tenor Horn.

4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I would have thought "Mephi" was published long before separate Flugel parts were printed; Flugel just doubles Rep. part. Have to say, a few years ago I created a full score from parts in Finale for rehearsal purposes, and I don't remember a 4th horn part ...

5. Eziachco

Eziachco New Member

Yeah, I'm sure. I have : Solo Tenor Eb, 1st Tenor Eb, 2nd Tenor Eb and 3rd Tenor Eb.
    And yes there is no flugel parts, basically I was thinking of making the flugel doubling the repiano. But as I have 4 horn parts maybe I will ask the flugel to play the Solo Tenor parts.

6. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

Speaking of marches - do you guys have any idea where I can purchase parts and score for "The Wizard" by George Allen and for "ORB" by Charles Anderson ? Can't seem to find a source anywhere.

Thanks in advance

7. brownrob

brownrob Member

I dont think the Wizard is for sale, I think it was written for a band (possibly Fodens) and parts just found their way around!

I could be wrong though

8. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Wiz/orb has been answered in another thread.

Back to mephi.. Is it actually the brass band march, or (more probably) another piece of the same name. I've seen a few of that name.

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Leyland, I believe....

In some old march arrangements - particularly those also done for military band - four horn parts are supplied, usually 1st and 2nd on one part, with 3rd and 4th on the other.

In my experience, the fourth horn usually doubles the baritones - covering the 1st on the um-chucks and the 2nd if the 1st bari becomes a lead voice with the cornet and euph.

Obviously without seeing the parts for your copy I can't say how that one's written - but that's often what I've found.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  10. Eziachco

Eziachco New Member

Yes it's the brassband march, written by Shipley Douglas and published by R. Smith & Co.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice