Méphistopheles

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Eziachco, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Eziachco

Eziachco New Member

Hi everybody,

we're going to play Mephistophélès with my band next year. I just put a quick look at the set and there is 4 tenor horn parts (solo, 1st, 2nd and 3rd). As we have only 3 players, which parts are we supposed to keep ?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Méphistopheles Hi
    Mephistophélès
    tenor horn parts
    set
    solo
  3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Go on be a 'devil' play em all

4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Are you sure? It's more likely to be 1 x Flugel Horn and 3 x Tenor Horn.

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I would have thought "Mephi" was published long before separate Flugel parts were printed; Flugel just doubles Rep. part. Have to say, a few years ago I created a full score from parts in Finale for rehearsal purposes, and I don't remember a 4th horn part ...

6. Eziachco

Eziachco New Member

Yeah, I'm sure. I have : Solo Tenor Eb, 1st Tenor Eb, 2nd Tenor Eb and 3rd Tenor Eb.
    And yes there is no flugel parts, basically I was thinking of making the flugel doubling the repiano. But as I have 4 horn parts maybe I will ask the flugel to play the Solo Tenor parts.

7. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Member

Speaking of marches - do you guys have any idea where I can purchase parts and score for "The Wizard" by George Allen and for "ORB" by Charles Anderson ? Can't seem to find a source anywhere.

Thanks in advance

8. brownrob

brownrob Member

I dont think the Wizard is for sale, I think it was written for a band (possibly Fodens) and parts just found their way around!

I could be wrong though

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Wiz/orb has been answered in another thread.

Back to mephi.. Is it actually the brass band march, or (more probably) another piece of the same name. I've seen a few of that name.

10. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Leyland, I believe....

In some old march arrangements - particularly those also done for military band - four horn parts are supplied, usually 1st and 2nd on one part, with 3rd and 4th on the other.

In my experience, the fourth horn usually doubles the baritones - covering the 1st on the um-chucks and the 2nd if the 1st bari becomes a lead voice with the cornet and euph.

Obviously without seeing the parts for your copy I can't say how that one's written - but that's often what I've found.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  11. Eziachco

Eziachco New Member

Yes it's the brassband march, written by Shipley Douglas and published by R. Smith & Co.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Méphistopheles Hi
    Mephistophélès
    tenor horn parts
    set
    solo