Lucky Leeds?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Maestro, May 4, 2007.

1. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

How can a relatively so called 'big club' go into administration without being docked any points for the start of the next season. I guess they weren't called Rotherham or Wrexham. :-? :-?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wrexham.
    Lucky Leeds
    Rotherham
    administration
    start
  3. jmb83

jmb83 Member

It's all to do with the dates at which the clubs go into admin aparently.

At least Southend won't go down below them now!

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Yeah. If they go into administration this season, they lose 10 points right away, not next year.

To be honest though, taking ten points of a club who are in such a mess is tantamount to kicking them when they're (literally) down.

(And no, I'm a newcastle fan, even though I live in leeds.)

I think it's a dumb idea docking teams points. Surely a salary cap, like the one used in rugby, would help keep finances in check, promote competition, and make teams work to bring talent through, rather than just buying in all the time.

With chelsea throwing squillions at has-been russians, and not feeling any pinch, Stevie G's new contract being worth a reported £120,000 a week if agreed, and still not being the highest in the game, and manchester united laughing at £250million quid of debt dropped on them by the owners, the amount of money involved in the top-level game is killing football as a sport.

That said, If Leeds will insist on charging premier league prices to watch third-rate football, can there be any wonder why Elland road is well over half empty every week?

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

I guess they're just taking advantage of a loophole in the rules, 'cos Ken Bates is as honest a fellow as you can get, right? ;) If only he'd done it with Chelsea......

It doesn't seem fair though.

Mind you, it'd be absolutely hilarious if they won 9-0 in their next match - meaning they'd have stayed up if it wasn't for those pesky 10 docked points! ;)

6. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Forget 10 points deduction, if they go into administration and are then bought from the administrators by a new company, the team should be classed as a new club and they should start at the very bottom. By that i mean no higher than the Northern Premier League in Leeds case. It is outrageous to be able to get away with what they have done to ensure no points are lost for next season.
    Football is just getting totally out of hand and much as I love watching games on Sky, the money that is available has caused all of these issues.

They are paid (not earn) stupid money and as has been pointed out on the thread already, this should be limited in some way.

The West Ham situation is another farce and I really hope that the legal challenge being mounted by some of the other clubs is successful.

7. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Well well West Ham 2-0 up and Tevez having scored both.

Trouble is if there is a legal fight I bet it won't be sorted by the start of next season.

As for Leeds that could get nasty too. Apparently other interested parties were not given chance to out their offers to the official receiver.

8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

It won't be.

All clubs sign up to an agreement every year acknowledging how any disciplinary matters off the field will be dealt with.

I see no chance of the goalposts being moved just because some whinging clubs are threatened with relegation because of poor perfroamces throughout the year.

Above all, though, it would grossly unfair on the new regime to suffer for the sins of its predecessor.

Oh - and it's 3-0 to the Happy Hammers as I type!

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Boston have done a Leeds as well - went into administration, losing 10 points in the process, when it was clear after 70 minutes they were going down......

10. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

As Will said, it won't . The rules don't state there must be a points deduction.
    The panel also found that the contract between WHU and MSL wouldn't stand up in UK law - that contract has been effectively torn up and the PL are now happy that Tevez can play. The ownership of Tevez remains the same though. If he's not elligible then you have to still question Mascherenas and also Fernandes whilst at Portsmouth. There are lots of rumours around that 2 other London clubs have people on a similar basis. And if dictating where and when a loan player can play isn't also having the same effect on rule U18 (third parties having infuence on outcome of a game) then at least Chelsea can afford the fine.
    All the teams at the bottom (including WHU) are there because over 48 games, they weren't good enough. Tevez didn't play in every single game that Wigan, Charlton, Sheffield and Fulham lost!!

A good day at the office - I had Tevez to score first goal at 5-1. Nice

11. jmb83

jmb83 Member

The agreement to go into Admin was taken before the game and a letter signed etc, was only issued after it was clear they'd lose.
    However, the FA/League have yet to decide when the points will be deducted, could still go on next season rather than this

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Wrexham.
    Lucky Leeds
    Rotherham
    administration
    start
  13. andywooler

Your bad luck continues - rumour has it Mr. Brown is headed your way. (assuming Eggert doesn't reduce his available funds first of course!!)

14. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Headed in which direction Andy?

15. andywooler

Don't panic, the direction is towards Leeds ;)

16. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Hmmm I am worried now have just received a text from the Carrow Road;

Press Conference Called:

A Press Conference has been called at Carrow Road at 1:45pm today to announce changes to Norwich City Board.

Quite worrying is that I was at a function on Friday night at Carrow Road and was on the same table as the Chairman & Vice Chairman. I promise I said not too much to cause offence!

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  17. andywooler

Andrew & Sharon Turner join, Barry Skipper leaves - no mention of Brown.
    Do I hear a collective phew coming down the A12?

18. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Oh yes indeed!! And they have loaned us £ 2 million pounds! Not quite a massive windfall, but nice none the less.

19. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Can anybody tell me the difference between the championship and a cordless drill???

aye!!!

No leeds!!!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

coat! (or should that be ambulance!!!):eek:

20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I think it'sa disgrace that they've been allowed to exploit a loophole. I don't happen to agree with the ten point penalty in the first place, but it's there for a reason, to discourage teams from going in to administration, and to let it be that a team can lose that 10 points from the season in which they've already been relegated makes no sense at all. That's not a penalty, it's a poke in the eye at worst! So big deal, Leeds finished bottom because of it, but that doesn't make any difference, they were down anyway!

Utter nonsense.

21. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's like the appeals system in banding though. If the rule is there, people will use it to their advantage and quite rightly too.

Leeds haven't done anything wrong. It's the FA's rules that's the farce.

English football needs a shakeup. Too many rich old men think it's their game... most of whom have never kicked a ball!!!!

22. dyl

dyl Active Member