lubricating slides

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassfanatic, Dec 26, 2011.

1. brassfanatic

brassfanatic Member

What is the special stuff used for lubricating slides on an instrument (e.g. my euphonium)?

I generally used vaseline until someone remarked a while ago how useless it really is and recommended the stuff they use. I have since forgotten what stuff they recommended.

2. pbirch

pbirch Member

vaseline has its problems, it accumulates on the slides and actually y is not a very good lubricant, especially on slides that are moved by triggers. I use the Ecolube tuning slide gel from Alliance
  3. euph77

euph77 Member

I use a generic cork / slide grease - I like the own-brand one from Dawkes Music.
  4. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

5. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

A freind of mine says Oilatum. Or anything that comes to hand as a lubricant. Even brylcream!
  6. simonium

simonium Member

I would suggest using Selmer Tuning Slide & Cork for standard slides that need to be withdrawn and a slide cream like Trombotine or Superslick for triggered slides. Vaseline is horrible stuff.
  7. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Yamaha slide and cork stuff lasts for ages, only need to use it every time i clean
  8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

For triggered slides etc. I use valve oil.
  9. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

KY jelly is another good option for triggered slides.
  11. pbirch

pbirch Member

I'm not sure about that - KY is water soluble and really not much use on metal-on-metal slides
  12. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

but can be very useful in 'other' sticky situations.......
  13. JDH

JDH Member

My instrument repairer recommended LANOLIN. You can buy on eBay if you do a search - it is sold for hair styling but apparently is ideal as slide grease
  14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Schilke do their own brand of slide grease, which contains lanolin. However I always found it a little too thick. It was fine for main tuning slides and small slides (such as 2nd valve), but no good for 1st/3rd valve slides which need to move easily with triggers or push/pull rings. Hence my reference (on the other thread) to axle grease, which is ideal ...