LSO v RPO

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by James McFadyen, Jan 19, 2004.

1. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

After listening to many many Orchestral arrangments of pop tunes by the London Symphony Orchestra and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, I have came to the conclusion that the LSO stuff is far superior, in my opinion. Much classier and intellegent arrangments!

Just wondered if anyone else has heard these two famous orchestra's attempts at 'Orchestral Rock' - which ones did you like and which ones would you recommend.

2. James McFadyen

Sorry I forgot Orchestra's have French Horns! I forgot how horrible they are and how much they damage the colour of a piece of music ;)

Silly me!

:wink: :wink:

3. supersplit

supersplit Member

Oh come on! LSO every time. MORRIS MURPHY!!! Need I say more? :lol:

4. James McFadyen

Indeed! :lol:

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

I think his brother, Maurice, is much better! ;)

6. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I agree. LSO without a shadow of a doubt.

Their Classic Rock series was absolute quality.

What made them so good were the stunning arrangements. One name that sticks in my mind that did a lot of the arrangements was Andrew Pryce Jackman. Anybody know what else he's done - if anything??!?

I saw every concert of the Classic Rock series and have every 'album'. Never tire of listening to them. Would highly recommend these - although I'm not sure you can still get them.

Matt

7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I don't know the answer to your question, but you might find some insight into the subject in the new book by Richard Morrison about the LSO. It might even shed some light into Howard Snell's chairmanship too.

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Didn't he have his own band once - Maurice Motors :?: :wink: :lol:

His name recently cropped up as having arranged the music for the recordings Peter Skellern made with Grimethorpe.

I too prefer the LSO recordings - they seem to have more strength in depth, and certainly a fuller brass sound throughout.

9. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

Definately LSO....
    What an amazing brass section...

10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

are we talking about who's arrangements are better or which orchestra is better? cos rpo arn't in the same league as lso... maybe better debating two orchestras of a more similar standing ie. bbc phil and halle...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    v
    RPO
    pop tunes
    stuff
    arrangments
  12. James McFadyen

I was actually hopeing for a debate on who's arrangments are better :)

13. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Wasn't it the RPO who teamed up with Louis Clark for that lamentable (sorry, just a personal opinion) Hooked on Classics?

14. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

His son is quite nifty too - Morris Minor! :lol:

Sam

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Think you're right. It seems that for some time, in the absence of a proper base or development policy, they have had to take on anything that will generate income without much thought to quality control or artistic merit.

16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

God, that sounds like a critique for Victoria Beckham! ;-)