LP / Cassette --> MP3 / CD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Farmer Giles, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Hi all

i (as i am sure many of you have) numerous brass lp's and cassettes.

does anyone know of a way to put these onto mp3 / cd easily ??

i would plrefer it if the casssette / lp "hiss" could be reduced, but this os not essential.

2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Easiest way is to get a good quality cassette deck and then play the pre-amp direct into the sound card and record them as wav files since these offer the least "lossy" digitisation. The simple MS sound recorder will do a decent enough job of the recording. It's best to get rid of the hiss at the source as any digital means of doing it doesn't do as good a job. If you record them as wav files they will be rather large so make sure you have plenty of disk space. Once the files are on your computer in any digital format you can convert them really as you want with the right software.

By the way, you do know that this could be technically illegal according to the new copyright laws. If that concerns you then check out the tMP library for the copyright article.
  3. mcfester

mcfester New Member

You could always use Nero Burning Rom, excellent programme for doing cd's, mp3's etc, or Easy CD Creator has all the filters built in for hiss and noise reduction. :D
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I'm sure theres a thing where you can go straight from cassette to CD... someone me dad knows did it... quality isnt good though so I wouldnt recommend it :lol:

but yea, I'd go into PC and use cubase to compress the tape hiss off and rip it onto CD...
  5. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

Record it into Soundforge or Cool Edit Pro, 'normalise' or use subtle compression and limiting to bring the level up, u may have to use an expander or noise reduction as well as click removers.

Export the file as a mp3 and there u go!!! :wink:
  6. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

you mean you can do more with your computer than just switch it on and check tmp!
  7. rutty

rutty Active Member