loyal & true or born free

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Forest Gump, Jul 13, 2006.

loyal & true or born free

Poll closed Jul 23, 2006.
  1. loyal and true

21 vote(s)
  2. born free

9 vote(s)
  3. changed once or twice

25 vote(s)
  1. Forest Gump

Forest Gump Member

just thought it would be intresting to know how many people have remained loyal to one band and how many people enjoy new challenges with various bands.
    i have been loyal & true but what about you?
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

although I've depped with a fair few bands and been offered numerous positions elsewhere I've been loyal to Emley for 8 years (i think!) now. Was with my previous band for 10 years.
    It's taking some time but I see it as a challenge helping the same band improve.
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Moved around and liked the various challenges with it..... Been called a banding tart before now by a certain someone on here... he knows who he is :p
  4. andyp

andyp Active Member

I've been with Eccleston since I started playing at age 6, and have been there ever since, except for a couple of years when I had the chance to play in Championship Section, first with Wingates and then Marple, but I returned when I couldn't give the commitment that playing in top section needs any more.
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Only changed bands due to moving to different parts of the country.
  6. pdj

pdj Member

Been with Hatfield Band ever since 1990. Theres always new challenges with this band and its been great to have been part of the team that has seen them progress from the 3rd Section to the Championship Section. Unless I have to move away from the area I dont think I will ever go to another band.
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Been with the National Capital Band since 1976, except for a seven-year "leave of absence" when I did not participate because I had small children and was building my career and could not commit to the band as fully as I felt was appropriate.
  8. persins

persins Member

When I'm playing with a band, I'm loyal and true and hardly ever mis rehearsals or engagements. I have moved a couple of times though due to going to uni etc.

I do enjoy depping for other bands though but never to the detriment of my own one.
  9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have moved around maybe i have missed out on a few contest wins but thats the gamble you take.
    When things start to go pear shaped i go before they turn sour.
    Plus i have had a break a couple of times and gone to different bands after i have come back.
    Butr as for now Gresley Colliery are a very happy bunch and over the last 15 weeks have just been a big tower of strengh to me:clap:
  10. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Been solo horn with Canton Band since 1973.

Looking for a new challenge I have also been with Parc and Dare since February this year.
  11. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Apart from a 5 year gap when I didn't play with any band, I have been with Hatfield 25 years. This has its benefits and rewards, however, it does make it difficult if you find yourself in a position where you are looking for another band. Very, very difficult to go to another band with a view to joining.
  12. Played with the same "senior" (section) band since moving up from Junior band in 1992, obviously, you dep with other bands when you are skint, but I always found I couldn't leave them, even if I wanted to!!!!
    This doesn't count now, cos I'm living in Belfast and currently semi-retired :wink:

13. T Winch

T Winch Member

Been with the same band since 1989. Tried leaving, moved house, changed phone number etc but they always track you down in the end (maybe if I changed my name.....)
  14. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

I was with St Agnes (4th section) for 11 years, and only joined Lympstone (2nd section) when I moved away to university in September. Now I'm back home for the summer, I'm still playing a lot for St Agnes, and have also become associated with St Stythians (2nd section) after depping with them at Bugle contest. I've also agreed to help out a few other bands when I can just to gain some experience!

A few people told me that "I get around" at Bugle - because I played for three different bands at different contests within a year, but I think my loyalty to St Agnes cancels that out!

I think I'm loyal and true at heart, but also love depping for other bands when my own band will let me!
  15. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

which reminds me to ask you (run out of texts!) can you play for pendennis at lanner on sunday night?!!

I'm the same as liz, played for Pendennis for ever at home, then moved away and joined lympstone! Happy to help anyone that asks tho :)
  16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

No, I'm working!! :(

Any other time though!! And only if they give me a jacket - I have every colour but green in my wardrobe at the moment! :)
  17. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Jacket theif!! (but if anyone asks, i asked you on monday!!)

What exactly do you mean by "born free"?
  18. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Loyal & True - through good times and bad times - check my playing experience, it speaks for itself
  19. eanto

eanto Member

i'm one for loyalty! my job has taken me around the country loads so it's been impossible to be loyal to one single band. a good side effect of this is that you can play different instruments in your new bands depending on what the band's short of at the time, and also make new friends in the process! now i'm 'stable' i cann't see me leaving my current band beacause the needs of the many, outway the needs of the few (sorry, i'm a bit of a trekkie!)
  20. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I suppose its loyal for me - my playing career has spanned a grand total of two bands. I've been with Wigston for just over twenty years, which is a statistic which I find amazing (in a "where does the time go" way).

It is a bit of a mixed blessing I guess, I've had good times and bad there. Because I've been with them so long any bad time is really painful, but the flip side of that is the successes we have give me a massive sense of achievement.

I surprised at the number of people posting here with long service. Maybe we just like to brag a little more :) , but I know plenty of people who will give a band a few years before moving on - and thats fine, otherwise everything would probably stagnate. Either way, provided you give it everything you can during your time with a band, I don't think there is a right and a wrong way to go banding. Horses for courses.