Lower Section Test Pieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anonymous_user, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Any thoughts for an own choice test piece for 2nd section.

Please don't turn the thread into a "some championship bands would find A Moorside Suite difficult etc. etc."

Just need some good solid suggestions from you all.

2. Do you mean 2nd section nationally.
  3. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

No. Nationals are usually set pieces. I mean pioeces that would be suitable for local/regional own choice contests.
  4. oh right
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  5. Some/most of these might be a bit hard for some second section bands:

Triumphant Rhapsody
    Purcell variations.
    The Land of the Long White Cloud.
    Variations on a Ninth

I know the last 5/6 might be a bit too difficult, but the last 5 have been played in the past 12 - 18 months in this section ( in the North west region) and produced good results.
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I'm one of those that thinks that where an own choice contest is concerned, playing 'safe' (or 'reasonably safe) as opposed to 'punching above your weight' is definitely a good idea! So.... a few from the dilapidated Brain of Payn...

Rhapsody in Brass (Goffin)
    Symphonic Suite (Lucas)
    Henry V (Vaughan Williams)
    Academic Festival Overture (Brahms/Wright)
    Rococo Variations (Street)
    Entertainments (Vinter)
  7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

what about Variations on Laudate Dominum
  8. bandcampgal

bandcampgal Member

Triptych, Salford Sinfonietta, Laudete Dominum, Oceans. Some of my favourite pieces! sorry if these aren't the right standard, I jumped from a 4th section band to a 1st section band so didn't get a chance to learn this level o music much! I just know theyre all fantastic test-pieces that are so special when played to a good standard. maybe its better to choose what people would cosider an easy test-piece for that section that the band can play to a really high standard rather than struggling with notes and risking the music being lost.