Lower Section Test Pieces for the Nationals 2006 Announced

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by sparkling_quavers, Jun 1, 2006.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

The selection of pieces for the national finals has been announced. The pieces are as follows:

1st Section: Ballet from 'The Perfect Fool' Holst arr. Peter Parkes

2nd Section: Gothic Dances. Alan Fernie

3rd Section: Sinfonietta in Three Movements. Gordon Langford

4th Section: Valerius Variations. Philip Sparke

2. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Do we know when the top section will be announced?
  3. winterman

winterman Member

Ballet From 'The Perfect Fool' by Holst eh?

Sounds interesting, at least being from a thoroughbred like Holst we can be guaranteed some pretty fine music in there.

Anyone heard Mr Parkes arrangement or is it brand spanking new?

Off to find my old classical CD's see if I have the original hidden in a cupboard somewhere!
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Didn't Dyke record this in the 80s, along with some bits of Delius and Bliss?

Does anyone know anything about Valerius Variations by Philip Sparke? (other than what is on the anglo music website? Has it been recorded by anyone? Haven't been to the nationals since the millenium contest. Getting excited already :D.

Looking forward to hearing what Mr Sparke has to say 'bout the piece closer to the time.;)
  6. winterman

winterman Member

Your right.. I actually got pointed to Chandos online (thanks Mr Ford) where ,for the princely sum of £1.20, I am now listening to a legal mp3 of the Dyke recording.. I have to say I LIKE IT!!

I even recognise the main theme (I think).
  7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Aye tribute to Holst , Delius , Elgar -Chandos
    ( wand of youth , pefect fool , bavarian dances) really good cd , recorded it in chester catherdral with Chester Philharmonic Orchestra in 2001. good piece , it's a bit of a different proposistion to Pagentry , Journey into Freedom , Midsummer Music..still good test.
  8. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

We have just recorded it with GUS and will be hurrying up the release with this announcement of the piece's use in September
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Peter Parke's arrangement of the Holst is superb and bands will enjoy rehearsing and performing it. Apart from the Dyke recording, try and get a hold of my personal favourite ... Sun Life on their hard to find CD 'Ballet'.
  10. ignore me

ignore me Member

Hasn't the Gordon Langford piece been used quite recently - but with a name like Sinfonietta i'm probably thinking of something else.

'Gothic Dances' is on Cory's 'Stars in Brass' cd. I've hears samples on the obrasso website but they're not the best quality - it would be great if Alan Fernie could give us a low down on the piece nearer the time just like his regionals choice (hint, hint) - well done in getting 2 pieces picked in quick succession Mr Fernie!
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  11. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

Gothic Dances is very gd from what i remember. I would have liked to take a stab at Ballet. Shame my band didnt get invited....

Now that's what you call a prompt service!:clap:
  13. 1alexm

1alexm Member

i hope Sinfonietta in Three Movements. Gordon Langford has a easy solo cornet part:biggrin:
  14. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo Member

15. QAD

QAD Member

Are you conducting on the recording Mr. Sparke? It would be interesting if you are going to be one of the adjudicators on the day... but if you are then you probably are'nt be able to comment...

Looking forward to seeing , working and hearing the work. How did you come across such an obscure theme?
  16. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

2005 Norweigian Championships - it's on the cd recorded by Manger Old star. I think.
  17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Yay! I'm looking forward to having a go at this one. No idea what it's like, but I like Alan Fernie's other compositions so hopefully I'll enjoy playing it! :)

Now to buying a recording of it.........
  18. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

19. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I have just ordered Sinfonietta from band supplies:)
  20. GJacko

GJacko Member

Just downloaded an MP3 of Sinfonietta. A recording by Dyke (hmmmm, sounds quite good).

Played it loads n loads.

A good choice for 3rd, I think
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2006