Lower Section Test Piece Composition Competition

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jpbray, Sep 7, 2004.

1. jpbray

jpbray Member

I apologise if this has been suggested before. However, here goes; to encourage new young composers, would it be an idea to set a composition competition for the rising stars of the banding world to write 4th and 3rd section test peices, say for the nationals.

TIMBONE Active Member

I think this is an excellent idea. I do however have to pick you up on the 'young composer' bit. It could be changed to 'unpublished composer', although that is a problem too, because due to our technological abilities, many composers now publish themselves. In most cases, compositional ability has very little to do with age, and as for being 'published', it is often more a case of 'being in the right place at the right time' and 'knowing the right people' etc.
  3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Simon Dobson wrote the test piece for last year's 4th Section Regionals. He's a young and upcoming composer.

I don't know what has to be done for a composers piece to be assessed and graded for use as a test piece. Perhaps someone (Mr Sparke?) could enlighten us all! If more 'unknown' composers had the opportunity to get their pieces listed it would widen the music avaliable for all contests (i.e own choice etc not just the areas/nationals).
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, for a laugh? Or maybe not.

Let's ask one of the local associations if they'll allow the tMP band to attend a contest as a non point scoring entry, and let it play a new piece every year. This will serve as a means for new pieces to become known.

Given the transient nature of the tMP band, the pieces will of course have to be aimed at the lower end of the spectrum.

I'm sure we'll get a band together capable of giving a good performance of any such piece, even if on a couple of rehearsals only.

I'll give you my Boadicea, Queen of the Iceni as your starter for 10, and I have one other piece as a back up.

The composer of the piece must be willing to assist at/take any rehearsals of the tMP band ahead of the contest; and must meet the cost of the recording of the piece.

John? Roger? Philip? Anyone else? Thoughts?

5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I don't particularly think you need to go to the trouble of organising a competition. The music selection panel of the British Federation of Brass Bands meet regularly to view and consider new pieces for competitions. If there are any budding composers out their who have written suitable pieces for contest work I suggest you send them in for consideration.

I think I'm correct in saying that either Alan Hope or Paul Hindmarsh is Chairman of this Music Selection Panel.

6. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Aren't test pieces selected by the owners and their committees of the various contests, rather than just one panel of selectors, i.e. the BFBB? As for Paul Hindmarsh, I thought he had resigned from the panel for the Nationals.
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From various comments and articles, both here and on 4br, it seems that we tend to be much less ready to try something new than is the case in other countries. If I remember correctly, Phil Lawrence had to go to Australia to get his piece accepted, and we've read of Will's trip to the states, and Belgium, Holland & Norway seem to have a far better track record for encouraging new writers, both from within the movement and outside.

I think there are some positive signs, as with the couple of recent competitions held, but anything that allows people to hear and get to know new music has got to be a good thing. Another possiblity is if a composer can find a "tame" band that will adopt his (or her) piece for an Own Choice contest, although often bands would prefer to stick with the tried and tested.

Also, remember that a number of pieces that were subsequently selected as test pieces were first heard at events such as the BBC Festival of Brass (more recently the RNCM Festival).
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I currently have a piece submitted, on Roger's suggestion, to Alan Hope. Alan has taken the piece and will put it before the committee, but it is unlikely to be used before 2006 even if it passes scrutiny by the committee.

I do suggest contacting Alan if you wish to submit a piece for consideration. He is very willing and helpful.
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

This is what I'm planning on doing as well...

I'm with Roger on this one... I don't think a competition is nessessary when there's a perfectly good panel who decide what the pieces are going to be each year...

10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Would someone post contact details for Alan Hope, please?
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

How about writing a piece for consideration called 'Eternal'?

If it gets accepted and used at a contest, the headline could be 'Hope Springs Eternal'

I'll get me coat.....
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Yur 'Tiz

Mr Alan Hope
    Tel/Fax: 0191 416 1008

No doubt he'll be innundated by submissions. Maybe as many as 14? :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2004
  13. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I reckon maybe a few more than that ;-)