Low cost international calls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by strongbow, Jul 4, 2005.

1. strongbow

strongbow Member

My friends partner has just gone to Vienna to start his new job and she needs some advice on cheap international calls. There are many companies out there that claim to be able to offer cheap calls but if anyone has any advice for her with regard to using these companies it would be much appreciated.

Ta very much.:tup
  2. NeilW

NeilW Member

2p/m to Austrian landlines 25p/m to Austrian mobiles

(you dial an 08/09 number which is charged to your normal phone bill, then you post-dial the number you want followed by # - no subscriptions / pre-bookings etc)

3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

4. persins

persins Member

Is this the way to phone via your computer? My family has been trying this in South Africa and it seems to work really well as long as you have broadband or ADSL etc.
  5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. I used it to call home from Japan (I had a broadband internet connection in my hotel room). Worked very well! Several of my colleagues do the same.

You can even call to fixed and mobile phones. In that case you only have to pay a local fee in the country you're calling to. You can pay in advance with your credit card (similar to pre-paid mobile phones).
  6. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Skype is good but I've recently found out that the post office do phonecards for international calls. As some of you know, ChiefLardy BassodeBlower has gone to New Zealand with his family for the forseeable future and I can now speak to him from a UK landline for 4.16p per minute which I reckon is pretty good for New Zealand. The sell them in £5, £10 or £20 cards and you dial an 0800 number from a UK landline or an 0208 number from a uk mobile.

7. illumina

illumina New Member

The best IMO is http://www.iconnecthere.com You get a free broadband adaptor so you can hook up your regular telephone, and I'm in the USA, calls to UK cost me 0.02 cents a minute. So thats around a penny a minute for an international call.
  8. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Tele 2 is really cheap for International calls...