Lottery Applications, LAA & National Indicators

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tubafran, Apr 1, 2009.

1. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Has anyone recently been involved in application for any Lottery Money?

I attended a seminar in Chesterfield yesterday run by Links and it related specifically to the new Local Authority Agreement and how this can impact on any applications for funding.

The LAA is set up throughout Derbyshire and from 199 National Indicators there are 35 which have been selected for special interest locally.

These 35 indicators have been allocated to 7 separate headings and these are

Safer Communities Partnership
    Health & Wellbeing Partnership
    Children's Trust
    Sustainable Communities

As I understand it, in order to present a successful bid for lottery funding your project has to help to improve some of these National Indicators.

Currently I am work on two projects for funding - Training Band and Church Hall rehearsal improvements. Just taking the training band - were as in the past we'd have been able to explain that we were giving youngsters an opportunity to learn music, play together as a group etc now we have to find the NIs that best show what we will influence.

This is what I came up with:

Childrens Trust - NI110 Young peoples participation in positive activities
    Culture - Not a single NI unless you include NI7 Environment for a thriving third sector (I kid you not)

The other two NIs in Culture are NI8 Adult participation in sport - ? since when did sport become a culture?
    and Use of NI9 Public Libraries.

I have never read so much meaningless tripe in my life and I cannot believe that there are people employed to promote this complete gobledegook. The lunatics are definately running the asylum or should that be service users with behaviour problems democratically directing the home for the mentally challenged?
  2. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Ha ha ha welcome to local government Francis! My life is governed by NIs, LPIs and BVPIs. Its all about targets you see and trying to quantify qualitative issues...

To be honest it sounds like Derbyshire has chosen the wrong NIs to focus on (from your point of view).

As you say, there are 198 in total, but LAAs only have to focus upon 35. I would imagine that NI11 (Engagement in the arts) or even perhaps NI6 (Participation in Regular Volunteering) would have helped your case more.

I agree that NI110 may be your best bet.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  3. The Bass Boy

The Bass Boy Member

If the BBBF were to lobby the funders it may be easier for us all that is what a national body is for, instead they appear to be concentrating on the cultural Olympics (a zero funding opportunity) and Child protection (every council in the contry has a child protection officer and information and courses can be down loaded and CRB checks can be done locally)

In the mean time were all struggling with funding, recruitment and retention issues.

come on BBBF focus on the real issues not the easy ones.
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Cheers Colin - "lets look at what you could have won" aint going to help us :)

Although I'm pleased to note us banders are now part of the "thriving third sector" - when I asked what the hell that meant, apparently Public and Private and First and Second and volunteers are the third - although of course when they say "third" they dont actually mean as in the band that played X came "third" - its just a different kind of third where first and second and third are all equal. ;)
  5. geordiecolin

....glad to be of service!!;)

Out of interest, do you have a list of which ones the LAA is focussing on?
  6. AnotherBassPlayer

AnotherBassPlayer New Member

In real life - I'm a chief exec of a voluntary organisation who has received a number of lottery grants over the years. Although LAA's are a substantial part of funding arrangements for "Big" they do not account for all areas. They will be open to a conversation if you can evidence that what you propose is "beneficial" for your community (not just geographic) - it's always worth having a chat because the least you could get is pointers on how to make it fit to be honest. Hope that helps mate!
  7. Fedman

Fedman Member

You are on the right lines, and just to let you know, the BFBB currently has an application in with the Arts Council looking for funding so that the BFBB can employ an additional person who would do just that for member bands - seek funding and assist bands in obtaining those funds. This is all arising from our work, especially by Phil Watson, with the All Parliamentary Group on Brass Bands and his work with VAN.

The BFBB has to seek funds itself through the Arts Council because the BFBB still does not get enough support from bands in this country. Apart from Phil who is paid for 3 days a week, all BFBB personnel are voluntary and have limited time. That is why it is essential for us to look to employ someone else full time. That is why we are applying to the Arts Council. That is why it would be good if all bands saw the need for the BFBB and supported it by becoming members.

You are again correct about there being no funds at present for events supporting the Cultural Olympiad and you tell us not to bother with that, but only the other day though the BFBB were criticised on this site (incorrectly) for not doing anything about that either.

I am a conductor of a 4th Section band, played in all sections and have experienced everything that is good and bad in banding. I joined the BFBB because I have always felt that banding needed a unifying national body. A body not to govern, but one to assist and speak up for bands on the national stage. That is slowly happening but it would happen quicker if say all the contesting bands (about 500) became members, never mind all the community, youth and other non-contesting bands (perhaps another 1,000). By the way 4barsrest never seem to count the non-contesting bands when they talk of the demise of banding.

ask not what banding can do for you, ask what can you do for banding
    ask not what the BFBB can do for you, ask what can you do for the BFBB
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Thanks Colin, yes it was having looked at the Derbyshire List that gave me most concern apart from the couple of obvious NI relating to Young People there was nothing under the heading of Culture.

Slightly more spurious would be NI 112 Under 18 conception rate - at least whilst they are at band we are doing our best to keep this one down.
  9. geordiecolin

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that criticism should not be so much of NIs per se (although I agree that could be more arts emphasis), but more of the specific choices of Derbyshire. Clearly culture is not very high on their agenda.
  10. AnotherBassPlayer

AnotherBassPlayer New Member

We seem to have another theme here too. Most of us interested in this thread and LAA's and NI's seem to be bass players? Hope this doesn't get out to other people or our cred will go right down LOL!!!!
  11. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I've just started looking into this stuff. Our area's NIs are about as far removed from anything cultural/musical as you can get. Might have to find another angle of attack.
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

To tell you the truth I havent quite worked out if these NIs have any influence on the Lottery Applications - will have a look at the current forms to see if this is the case. Havent spent 4 hours at a workshop about this it seems to be that money allocated to the councils is no longer ring-fenced to specific areas - they can allocate it as they wish. But of course if you're making an application for Lottery Money that's separate to the council's

I assume the whole indicators thing is that over a three year period (these NIs last until 2011 and started 2008) they can check if they've improved the various indiciators theyve choosen.