Lots of questions!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brownrob, Sep 16, 2007.

1. brownrob

brownrob Member

Thanks for making it this far :tup ;)

Anyway... I did trawl the forum here but I didnt get many satisfactory answers!

Basically I play a Besson International Eb Soprano Cornet, which I picked up on Ebay for £150! :clap: in pretty good nick as well

I was wondering, what bore does the Besson International have, and how does the bore affect playing (range and volume, Ive a pretty good tone, for the standard I play at, Im about Grade 8 standard). I also use a 7C mouthpiece, though there is no manufacturer written on the mouthpiece. There was a trumpet mouthpiece included with the instrument, a NEMC 7C I think it was. No idea how good that is as Ive no way of trying it out

My main problems are with my volume and my range. When I play my Bb Cornet I can easily hit the F above top C, yet I really struggle to get anything above A on the Sop with any real conviction... On Bb I can also almost blow down the walls of the Hall, so it perplexes me greatly! :biggrin: I practice roughly an hour a day, and I mean practice, not rehearse! Building up to high notes slowly etc, so its likely a problem with the way I breathe, though I dont know whats the best way for a Sop player to breathe, I played the Bb Cornet for 10 years prior to this

I also wonder how the International stacks up against the likes of the newer instruments, in easiness to blow. If you were to reccomend a decently priced instrument, what would it be?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

here we are ...

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  4. brownrob

brownrob Member

ah cool! yeah its a nice sound, but ive been told the international is a junior instrument? is there much demand for these? As Im thinking about moving to the 926 Eb Besson Soprano
  5. nhrg

nhrg Member

2nd Hand Schilke

If you were to reccomend a decently priced instrument, what would it be?
    I guess 2nd hand schilke's aren't cheap at the moment but a lot of Sop players are currently upgrading to the new Xeno and the new Shilke so going for an older 2nd hand schilke could be a good move if the price starts to come down.