Lost score - "Cadernid Gwynedd"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Gareth_Glyn, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Gareth_Glyn

Gareth_Glyn New Member

Hi, all - I'm a composer, and many years ago wrote a piece called "Cadernid Gwynedd" for the BTM Band; it was subsequently (in 1991) used by the National Youth Brass Band of Wales in their summer course. I'm trying to get hold of a score, as mine seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. This is an extremely long shot, but could anybody on this forum have a clue who I might be able to contact? I've e-mailed BTM, but I was told before I tried that they'd had a break-in or something, and that my score could have been lost at that point.

Any assistance would be heartily welcomed.

Thank you.

Gareth Glyn

BTW, if the title doesn't ring a bell, you can listen to part of the music on http://gglyn.tripod.com, following the links to "my works".
  2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Hi Gareth I am sure WAMF might have a copy of the score , and complete set of parts.
    Thanks for the recording of the piece.
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

Helo Gareth - a croeso i tMP! 'Roeddwn i'n aelod o fand ieuenctid Cymru a chwaraeodd 'Cadernid Gwynedd' ym Mangor. Yr arweinydd bryd hynny oedd Bram Tovey sydd nawr yn gyfarwyddwr cerdd band Fodens Richardson - http://www.fodensband.co.uk - os na cewch ymateb ffafriol o WAMF efallai byddai'n wrth gofyn i Mr. Tovey am unrhyw help?

Gareth - I was a member of the NYBBW who performed 'Cadernid Gwynedd' at Bangor. The conductor at the time was Bram Tovey who is now MD of the Fodens Richardson band - http://www.fodensband.co.uk - if you don't get any joy at WAMF, perhaps Mr. Tovey may be able to point you in another direction?
  4. Gareth_Glyn

Gareth_Glyn New Member

Diolch, Dyl - syniad da!

Thanks, Dyl - good idea!

5. Gareth_Glyn

Gareth_Glyn New Member

Thanks, Nick - unfortunately it doesn't look as though WAMF has it - that's according to Keith Griffin whom I spoke to earlier today. I can't for the life of me understand why I don't have a copy myself - I can only conclude that I must have sent it off at some point in the past to someone who expressed an interest in it. This was in the days before computer-generated scores, but not before photocopiers, so I feel a right twit really.
  6. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

7. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Pete Denton ( former member of the NYBBW and BTM ) might have an idea , I think Pete was WAMF admin / Course director for a few years.
    I dont know if any of the course tutors from the course may have a score.
    James Shepherd
    David James
    Gordon Higginbottom
    Steve Sykes
    Nick Childs
    Rodney Newton
    I can't remember who the trombone tutor in 1991.
  8. Gareth_Glyn

Gareth_Glyn New Member

Wow - you're right! I'll make enquiries right away. I hadn't thought of looking there, because the Welsh Music Information Centre shares office space with WAMF, whom I'd already approached.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  9. alexandria

alexandria Member

I am the administrator and librarian at WAMF. We have found the score in question which is good news. What normally happens, I have the scores in the archive for the National Youth Brass Band and then as rerference, we hand a copy to the Welsh Music Inforamtion Centre. This is beacuse it is a commissioned work by written by a Welsh composer. We have some how found the score in their archive here at the Wales Millennium Centre. So get in touch: 029 20 635649.
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

tMP strikes again - well done everyone ;)
  11. Gareth_Glyn

Gareth_Glyn New Member

Oh joy! After months of searching, I ask a question at 1405 on themouthpiece.com and the score is found by 1714 the same day! I can only fervently thank everybody. When I get the score I shall get down to typesetting it properly by computer and keep lots of copies of the file and the printed music.

Many thanks to all once again.

12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You are most welcome Gareth. Glad you found your score and that you found tMP...;):tup