Lost Recordings

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by PeterBale, Feb 22, 2007.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Probably not the best title for this thread, but here goes:

Reading the latest edition of "Brass Herald", Peter Parkes writes of his most recent spell with Faireys. Amongst other things, he refers to recordings that they had made, but which never saw the light of day.

This made me think that there must be other situations where either the opportunity for a recording was missed, or else the recording took place, but was not proceeded with for some reason or other.

My personal experience of this was when I was playing horn with the South London Divisional Youth Band, under Maurice Cooper. We spent some time preparing for a recording, the sessions taking place in the old Salvation Army hall at Camberwell, then being used for the Training College's weekly Holiness Meetings. The band was on top form, playing such pieces as "Lord of the Sea" and "Symphony of Thanksgiving". Unfortunately the recordings were never released, I believe due the reluctance to fork out for the initial cost, even though we had firm orders that would have more than covered that outlay.

Anyone else like to share any similar experiences?

2. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

What an excellent idea for a thread Peter. While I don't have any personal examples to add, I look forward to reading other replies.

As a former member of the South London Divisional Youth Band when Les Condon was the B/M., it revived some good memories.

After so much time it's probably unlikely that this, and probably other examples, will ever be released on CD which, after all the hard work, must still be a disappointment. A situation that raises some questions - Who has the originals? Who owns them? and, assuming I'm right about the CD, What is the possibility of the tracks being made available for download (another potential service offering from our friends at WoB perhaps)?

3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I was in Faireys at the said time. I know there is an excellent CD of Gordon Langford's music conducted by the Major, recorded by B+H Sound, with Morgan Griffiths, Philip McCann, Owen Farr, Kevin Crockford etc. all playing with the band, and some lovely pieces on it (Fifth of August, Three Haworth Impressions etc.) from what I can remember. This was (I think) the last CD made before many players, including myself, departed, and has never seen light of day. Hopefully it will, as I seem to remember it sounding exceptionally good, and being very good, listenable, music.