Lorena - cornet solo to stop a war?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by andreab, Aug 30, 2008.

1. andreab

andreab Member

Does anyone know if the song Lorena exists as a cornet solo? Apparently it was played on cornet during the American Civil War, and fighting stopped. I've been asked if I know anything about it or have a recording of it. I don't, do you?

2. David Mann

David Mann Member

There's a recording of it on fiddles and guitar on the excellent compilation of music from Ken Burns' documentary "The Civil War" (Elektra, ISBN 0-681-92609-0).
    Composers Joseph Philbrick Webster and Henry DeLafayette Webster.
    No idea about the fighting stopping, though.

I dimly remember seeing a ?Buster Keaton film where he marched between the lines with a double-sided flag, both sides cheered and waved until the wind turned it round...

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here's a nice collection of civil war songs played on period instruments ...

[youtube]gGUeqMmKhFo[/youtube]

5. andreab

andreab Member

Thanks, I'll pass those links and the recording details on.

Andrea

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

7. andreab

andreab Member

Ah, thank you. That was my Dad asking on 4barsrest, I don't think he's seen that reply yet. And no, I hadn't recognised Lorena on the video, but I think I'm going to get to know it in the next few days!

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's the first number in the selection. If you load up the sheetmusic in another tab on your browser and play the video in this thread, you will see the similarity.