Lordsmere March Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Mephi, May 22, 2009.

1. Mephi

Mephi Member

Any idea of which bands are going to the Lordsmere March Contest at Boarshurst tomorrow?
  2. Columbo

Columbo Member

5 have withdawn. There is 7 to date. Carrbrook are one of them Mark.
  3. DobX Dave

DobX Dave Member

It is a shame that so many bands have withdrawn, perhaps it is due to the fact that so many younger members of bands have to work on Saturdays.

Perhaps the organisers might wish to consider this next year.

At least the Boarshurst Band Club stocks a good bar, so all should enjoy the day.

But, 1) What time does it start ?
    2) Who is the adjudicator
    3) (and to repeat Mephi's question) what bands are entering ?
    Hopefully the usual contestants like Marsden etc are going.
    It would also be good to see who can challenge the up and coming Oldham (Lees) in the
    Second Section as rumour has it that they have signed a couple of 'classy/experienced'
    players recently.
  4. Columbo

Columbo Member

Starts at 5pm. Adjudicator is Dave Ashworth I think.
  5. Columbo

Columbo Member

Oldham (Lees) aren't there Tomorrow as they have another engagement.
  6. Dobcross Silver will be there. Uppermill are doing it I think, as are Diggle 'B' Band, and Carrbrook. Thats 4/7.

Hope it doesnt rain!
  7. Mephi

Mephi Member

Afraid Marsden won't be there, as much as we would have liked to have a run out before the main business of WF! Glyn is in Cambridge for the Masters and several peeps have gone on holiday due to half term or bank holiday. Will probably be there though!
  8. SaddLad

SaddLad New Member

What a good afternoon out - shame about the number of withdrawals but well done to all those who did turn up, and to Boarshurst who went to great lengths to make all feel welcome. Congrats to overall winners Darwen and especially to the mighty Carrbrook for a valiant 2nd place.
  9. 3rd and best basses, and yet after we played, we thought our best chance of a prize was for our hymn tune lol

weather was really nice, just right for a band contest, bring it on next year, hopefully harbe will win next time :biggrin:
  10. E flat fred

E flat fred Member

it was our first visit to this contest as our band Darwen Brass was only formed 2 years ago.
    It was a great time and we all enjoyed it.
    Now looking forward to the Whit Friday Marches after our first visit last year.
    Looking forward to returning next year
  11. Columbo

Columbo Member

Yes. Well done Darwen. There was no doubt in my mind you'd be up there! Thanks for the kind words. We were chuffed with 2nd. Well organised contest and worth the day out. I hope more bands turn up next year. Thats some trophy for a march contest! Well done Carrbrook. At last your efforts are rewarded!
  12. Can someone post all the prizes and results please?

13. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

I'm not sure of all the prizes but Darwen Brass picked up Best Hymn tune, Best March in the 4th/youth section, Best Trombone section and Best Overall Band in the contest :clap:
  14. maisie and her horn

maisie and her horn New Member

i had a great time at this contest! Congrats to Carrbrook for finally getting within the prizes-i hope there's many more to come! my thanks to all at Boarshurst for a brilliantly organised day - see you again next year! :)
  15. Frontman

Frontman Member

Photographs of the Lordsmere Cup March and Hymn Contest held at Boarshurst Band Club are on display on the Boarshurst Band web site.

Click on the GALLERY button and then on the Lordsmare Cup 2009 banner.

Thanks to all for your support on this our 160th Anniversary.