Lord of the Rings symphony (the Johan De Meij one) for brass band?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tenorhorn32, Apr 16, 2012.

1. tenorhorn32

tenorhorn32 New Member

This may seem ridiculous, but I was wondering if it would be at all feasible to transcribe even a few movements (such as the first and 5th) for brass band. I realize that this would be an incredibly difficult undertaking and would take a very long time to complete, but I think if someone was willing to put in the work I think it would be very interesting to see a brass band play the piece. What do you guys think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Lord of the Rings
    Johan De Meij one
    brass band
    Meij
    Rings symphony
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Don't see any reason why it shouldn't be done: there's now an orchestral version as well.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Got a score?

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

It's already been done in a reduced version for Concert Wind Band - here even has the alternate parts for euphs baris etc

6. tenorhorn32

tenorhorn32 New Member

7. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Got permission ?

8. Thirteen Ball

Not yet. Having sorted a fair amount of copyright permission in my time, surely you're aware that I don't require reminding on that score.

However it's always worth looking the score over before even making the request - as it may be that upon examination it's a less appealing prospect than first thought.

The other thing to consider is that these things are invariable very expensive to obtain permission for.

9. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

My apologies Andi - no offence meant.
    My intention was only to point out that it's a pretty pointless discussion/exercise if permission is not likely to be granted.

10. Thirteen Ball

In my experience, 99% of the time, permission is just a matter of money - however that introduces another issue. How many bands are going to shell out for a 67-page score? Plus you'd need a very understanding publisher to even entertain the notion of putting it out. Commercially it'd be a real struggle to make it viable.

The only way I could see it happening is if it was going to be a one-off, and a band with a deal of funding behind them wanted the whole thing doing for a CD in a 'Hymn of the Highlands' stylee, or like when Black Dyke recorded the entire 'Planets' suite. Then they might front the cash for the copyright, and come to an agreement with an arranger to do the scoring for them.

One can only hope someone is reading this while sitting on a load of sponsorship cash for a project such as this..... though I have my doubts as to how likely that is!

11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Or one could hope that Johan de Meij is reading this and is interested in adapting it for brass himself..

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Lord of the Rings
    Johan De Meij one
    brass band
    Meij
    Rings symphony
  13. Thirteen Ball

That would be by far the easier option.

14. MoominDave

15. This is something we'd look at getting involved in, certainly with copyright licensing etc. It must be remembered at Johan de Meij does not own the arrangement (symphony) he did, so it's not his permission you'd need.

16. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I think he does, as Amstel is his own company. This is not music from the films but an original symphony.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  17. Thirteen Ball

Given his already proven ability with the brass band format from 'Extreme Makeover' I'd be surprised if - assuming he thought the brass band medium appropriate for the work - he didn't want to do the transcription himself.

Albeit he may well have other things on.....

In that case, he makes decent beer as well.....

;)

18. Is there no reference to the Howard Shore soundtrack? If not, then Amstel (or himself!) will own it, meaning it may be a good thing to ask him if he's considered a Brass Band version.

19. MoominDave

20. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

21. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I have arranged for brass band a few from the B & Hcatalogue and had to fork out money so that I cna arrange them! Quite a lot back then to! But the end result issomething else!

22. tenorhorn32

tenorhorn32 New Member

Thank you everyone for the replies/ suggestions. Do you think that I should contact him and ask if he'd be interested in transcribing it for brass band, or should I wait and see (by some incredibly low chance) if he or someone else from the Amstel company looks over this thread?