Lord Lieutenant's retirement

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MartinT, Aug 6, 2008.

1. MartinT

MartinT Member

The Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire is retiring on Friday the 8th, and I've been asked to supply a trumpeter to play something appropriate during a ceremony taking place in the afternoon.
    I've located a trumpeter (no mean feat at this time of year!), but find myself unsure as to what would be most appropriate for him to play.
    Bugle calls were mentioned. I thought of "Reveille" (not "Rouse" - I mean the Reveille in F which is often played on Remembrance Sunday), but is it appropriate for the situation? Or the bugle call from "Sunset" (quite opposite to Reveille in meaning, I suppose) seems a possibility.
    Then again, I have a booklet entitled "Infantry Bb Bugle & Trumpet Tutor & Calls". This has a call entitled "Salute (Viceroy, Governor-General, Governor, or His Majesty's Chief Representative)". It's a very boring looking call, almost entirely on C... is it appropriate? The following one in the book looks more interesting - indeed, I recognise it - but is apparently intended for Field Marshals and General Officers. Does that cover Lords Lieutenant, I wonder?
    All opinions welcomed.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Oxfordshire
    Reveille
    Governor-General
    Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire
    Lords Lieutenant
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

4. MartinT

MartinT Member

Thanks. Having had a quick listen, I realise that the most appropriate solution is likely to be "Retreat" - this is number 40 in my little book, can't think why I didn't notice it before, particularly as the band played "Sunset" just the other day!:oops:

5. MrEllis

MrEllis New Member

Sunset with band accomp would be a fitting finale. You could find what Regiment the Lord Lieutenant is connected with and play the regimental march of his old regiment. A copy can be sent from the royal military school of music or any friendly military band.

Andy

6. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

You knlow what this title actually means, yeah?

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Yeah it is, the Queen's representative for thae county of Oxfordshire.

9. MartinT

MartinT Member

OK, well, what actually happened in the end wasn't quite what I originally expected. What was asked for - to be played to get people's attention for the beginning of the ceremony - was the "Charge"!

The guy doing the asking is ex-USMC, and finds "Retreat" "really depressing". ;)

Anyway, all went off OK, thanks to an excellent young trumpeter named Tomi Johnson. (Who may or may not be registered on tMP.)