Loose Slide on Euph - Any Advice?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kjm, Jun 5, 2006.

1. kjm

kjm Member

I have a problem with the 2nd Valve Slide on my Euph. Basically it keeps falling out when I play! Any one have any ideas as to what I can put on it to make it stay in??

Any advice would be most welcome!

2. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I've had this problem a few times on my euph, it seems especially likely to happen shortly after cleaning the thing (motto? Don't clean your euph ;)).

There are a few solutions, using proper slide grease seemed to do the trick for me, but for the Areas I had to stick blue-tak to my slide to stop it falling out.

Another (risky) option is to batter the slide so it's slightly deformed and fits snugly into the instrument. I wouldn't undertake that yourself though ...
  3. kjm

kjm Member

Thanks for that. I'll try the slide grease idea. Don't think i'll take a hammer to it, but may know a man who could!
  4. langley_euph

langley_euph New Member

this happened to me about a month ago (right in the middle of a concert would you believe!) what i did was take the slide out and squeeze it slightly so the two sides are nearer together! it worked really well and hasnt fallen out since! hope this helps!
  5. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Are you sure the slide is in the right way round? sometimes it fits in better one way rather than the other. I had the joy the other week of playing an old frosted imperial EEb and the main tuning slide kept falling out so i turned it round and solved the problem!
  6. kjm

kjm Member

Thanks but I think the 2nd Valve slide can only go in one way?

Leigh SA Band
  7. kjm

kjm Member

An instrument repairer friend of mine has just said to try Engine Grease! I'll give it a go.

Thanks to all those who have given advice, squeezing the slide together sounds a good one too! Thanks