loose fitting slide?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by _si, Jun 24, 2011.

1. _si

_si Member

Hi, i have one of the bands beatiful Sovereign Euphoniums and im very happy with it. However, it does have a problem thats getting very frustrating. The fourth valve slide seems to be too small a bore for the tubing it sits in, i presume a previous owner had been applying brasso or similar and over a long period the slide has lost a mm or so diameter. I can only play for a few bars and the vibrations start to make the slide drop, only a little at first but over a 10 minute period it can drop by over an inch. Im constantly having to check it and it is a major distraction. I cant tape it up as i need to be able to remove it to empty, and im asking if anyone has had a similar problem and if there is a simple solution? many thanks.
  2. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

a repairer can re size the inside tube to make it fit. can be done during a regular service. I had it done on the maun tuning slide of my tuba. It was made badly and i used to fill the gap with slide grease. It's great now.
  3. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Carefully bend the slide inwards so that the two tubes to be inserted are slightly out of parallel. This will help the slide grip the inside of the instrument.
  4. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Guest

I just had the exact same problem with a Sovereign Bass.
    It was fixed by having the slide tube 'expanded', and although that sounds scary it is just fine. I note that the slide on mine (and maybe yours) is actually Nickel Silver, but when you looked at it it looked as though it was plated brass and the plating had worn off. This was not the case - in fact the 'brassy' looking bits just cleaned off leaving the Nickel Silver tube. Now as good as new.
    Mine was fixed by Adrian Jarvis at Hawkes Music in Maidenhead for a very reasonable price, and on the spot.

Chris Lee
    Newbie on EEflat bass
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Make sure you've already booked an appointment with your friendly local instrument repairer before you attempt this ... :rolleyes:
  6. sjs

sjs Member

This is exactly what my friendly local instrument repairer did to sort out out a loose 1st valve slide on my Sovereign Tenor Horn...took about 30 seconds and worked a treat!
  7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Yes, but there's a difference between a qualified and experienced technician doing it and an unqualified enthusiastic amateur attempting it. I've seen several slides broken as a result of exactly that ...
  8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

my repairer spends a lot of time making sure the slide legs ARE parallel. and that they fit correctly. As the legs are soldered in place it would be easy to break them and end up with a bigger repair bill.
  9. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Dissapointed last post removed but do understand why!
    I will say again (without link to specific retailer) that I find Elbow Grease in 110g pot to be best product for all slides exept trom and trigger as it's too heavy. Miles ahead of trombone lubes for tuning slides.
  10. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Believe me the method mxb59307 suggests is the one the vast majority of experienced repairers would adopt unless the slide was hopelessly ill fitting and leaking whilst in situ.
    Although people invest a lot of love and care in their instruments, in the end they are basic metal plumbing. a pair of drum sticks in each slide leg and a very gentle squeeze should be all thats required to make the slide hold better.
  11. mxb59307

mxb59307 Member

Yeah, I heard one repairer describe an Eb bass as a length of gas pipe with valves, though I would never be so disparaging!

I think the consensus is if you know what you're doing and are confident then try the suggested method. If not, consult an expert who may perform the same procedure, but at least you'll be safe in the knowledge that it'll either be fine, or he'll have to sort out the broken slide for you!