Looking to upgrade the processor in my laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Laserbeam bass, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Does anyone know if the laptop I am using can have a new processor added to it.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545, and it currently runs a woeful
    Intel Celeron 900 @ 2.20GHz.

I would like to have at least an i3 in there, and the wonderful people at Dell couldn't tell me if the processor was soldered to the mother board.

So all I really need to know is, is it soldered or not. If it is I won't waste my money gettting the new processor. If it isn't I'll get someone to install it for me.

Cheers

LBB

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

LBB - According to this video the CPU is removable and replaceable - Matt

[youtube]kL9z2uFBjkU[/youtube]

3. cornet_matt1

cornet_matt1 New Member

Yeah it should be removable. Although looking at various sites it seems to depend on the manufacturer as to whether you can upgrade it or not.

Either way, before buying a new CPU you need to check which one's are compatible. Wikipedia has a list of them for the Inspiron 1545 ..... but then again Wikipedia isn't known for its accuracy. Obviously the best people to ask about compatibility would be Dell, or failing that a repair shop should be able to help you out.

4. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Considering that you intend getting someone else to fit it any way, I would be asking them the questions. If a reputable dealer or repairer they should know the answers regarding what is compatible.

5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Thanks all. I have already spoken to Dell and they say that the i3 is compatible.

Just meed to find a mug (sorry colleague) to sort it out for me :)

Having watched the video, I think I can do it myself :)

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  6. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

double check the CPU socket number before you go buying a new processor though, one pin diffence on the socket/cpu can cause a catastrophic failure