Looking for The Servant King and Ride On Ride On in Majesty

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by winterman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. winterman

winterman Member

Quick request..

Our Youth Band has been requested to play at the local Parish Church for the Palm Sunday service again this year and we have been asked to accompany these two songs/hymns.

The Servant King (Graham Kendrick)

and

Ride On, Ride On in Majesty (Winchester New??)

Anyone know, if and, where I can get these (especially versions suitable for young/small band)? I do need them fairly urgently too.

Many Thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Servant King
    Ride On Ride On
    request
    service
    band
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Graham Kendrick one is in the happy-clappy 'Mission Praise' book or one of its offshoots - for piano though. No idea about a band version though.

4. mdfreeman

mdfreeman Member

5. winterman

winterman Member

6. mdfreeman

mdfreeman Member

I've got a feeling winchester new is in the blue tune books as well....

7. winterman

winterman Member

I seem to recall it is, but at £10 a book I can't justify buying a set for a one off engagement (and certainly in time for this gig, the kids need time to practice them too) :(

Unless of course some nice SA corps has a spare set they would lend us for the weekend? For a modest donation of course ;)

8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Having had some experience arranging hymns for accompanying church services, I would advise some caution over this. The CyberHymnal website lists four possible Hymn Tunes to which the words "Ride on, .. " may be sung:

1) "Heb­ron" (Low­ell Ma­son)
    2) "St. Dros­tane" (John B. Dykes)
    3) "Truro" (Wil­liams’ Psalm­o­dia Evan­gel­i­ca (1789))
    4) "Winchester New" (17th c. German Anon. - adapted by William H. Monk)

You may very well be right in your assumption that "Winchester New" is the most commonly associated tune (it is the first choice in the New English Hymnal), but I wouldn't go ahead and prepare it without asking the Church to be specific about which tune they are expecting. "Assumption is the mother of all ... " and all that (and I've been caught out like that in the past, and it can be embarrassing ... :redface: )

9. winterman

winterman Member

True, the one I have always known is Winchester Old, and I seem to recall that was the tune they used last year.

I'll be sure to check though, thanks :)

10. winterman

winterman Member

Doh! That should be Winchester New! Winchester Old is While Shepherds Watched.. Hehe

11. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Another version of "Ride on, ride on in majesty" that had some popularity during the 1950s-1970s, particularly in some parts of the Anglican Church, is by Malcolm Williamson (former Master of the Queen's Music), though I guess one would rarely hear it these days. "Winchester New" is the most likely tune.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    The Servant King
    Ride On Ride On
    request
    service
    band
  13. winterman

winterman Member

Confirmed last night that it is Winchester New (the vicar just said "the one everyone sings it too"?! Lol)..

Managed to cobble together a very basic SATB version from the piano part, which is perfect for the kids, before rehearsal last night.. That will do for this year as there are only 7 of them able to do the job anyway :(

Will invest in a "decent one" ;) for next year I think. :)

Thanks all..