Looking For Tenor Horn Trios ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jacob Larsen, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Hi... Im looking for some trio repetoire for Tenor Horns with brass band.... Can anyone help ?

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

There's the Gordon Langford "Three tenors fantasy", and the Norman Bearcroft "On the sunny side", which I don't think has actually been published, but should be obtainable via World of Brass. I'm pretty sure there's a Roy Newsome trio out there somewhere as well, but can't track it down at the moment.

Edit: Just found the Roy Newsome piece, which is called "Hat trick".

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hat Trick (Roy Newsome)
    Ragtime For Horns (Joplin arr. James Curnow)

4. HBB

HBB Active Member

Serenade for Horns (Sparke)

5. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Trio con Brio springs to mind after a YABB trip(!), but heres an old thread about Horn Trios here

6. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Wow, Peter! I'd quite forgotten about On the Sunny Side although I now remember playing it in a National School of Music Final Festival at Fairfield Hall in the 1980's! I'll have to have a hunt around to see if we have a set.

In The Salvation Army band journals are A Song of Sharon's Rose by David Catherwood (General Series) and Thine Alone by James Curnow (Festival Series) although I must confess that I know neither of these.

7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Played both of the above over recent years. To be honest they're both not terribly exciting. I seem to remember Song of Sharons Rose is basically unison, and slow, and boring..... Thine Alone is in harmony, with flug too, but again is slow, and not terribly inspiring. Theres also another cheesy number, in the triumph series (two parts) called Reflectors..... best avoid! ;-)

On the Sunny Side is a great piece, but very very demanding on the horn section. We recorded this with the Household Troops on the CD 'Troops Salute' a few years ago. I seem to remember the solo horn part being split, so 4 players are needed (and besides, the two solo horns in HTB staggered the playing quite alot in their unison passages due to the incredibly high nature of the piece! Frequently up around top Ds, for long passages! Even 2nd horn needs to comfortably be able to play top Bbs without any problems)

Another nice horn feature is the widely available arrangement of I know him so well. Again, flugel is incorporated as into the quartet.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  8. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I wrote a kind of "Scott Joplin" rag for horn trio and band, in my brief time as arranger in residence at Foden's, called "Cracked Ice Rag". Foden's have also recorded it, and it's published by Obrasso.

9. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

One of the movements from Hymn of the Highlands by Phillip Sparke, Allandale, is that a Horn Trio?! I know the Concert band Version is a Sax Trio but I cant remember if the BB version is Horns! Not a very helpful post really!!! Sorry!!:biggrin:

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Flugel, horn & baritone in the BB version I think.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Im
    Tenor Horn Trios
    Tenor Horns
    trio repetoire
    brass band
  12. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Carl, I played On the Sunny side at the National School of music festival that year. Norman Bearcroft initially put me in charge of the music for the A band ( I managed to get out of that)and I told NB that we always played cornet and trombone features at Fairfield halls and it was about time the horns came to the fore. Surprisingly he agreed so we had to learn the parts and the entire horn section of the school ( about 15 of us ) 'played' it. There was an awful lot of miming happening and at several times I was the only one playing the top part but it was good fun. However there are at least four parts as I know the Solo horn part splits and I think the second splits as well in places.

Thine alone is a slow, nice piece but if my memory serves me also involves the Flugel a fair bit. Rose of Sharon is a unison slow melody (it can be used as a solo).

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Horn feature (plus flugel) - Hey Jude - Derek Broadbent

14. Deano

Deano Member

Tenors in Triplicate Gerry McColl

Also, I can't remember the name of the piece but from what I can remember I think it was played by Sellers on LTTB, and the piece was based on the songs that the 3 Tenors Domingo, Carreras and Pavarotti were trioing at the time, late 80's early 90's I think. If anyone knows of the piece I'm referrring to, and whether it's been recorded, please advise.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  15. T Winch

T Winch Member

The Elvira Madigan Theme by Goff Richards. GT Group band are playing it at the moment despite my protestations. It's a bit cheesy but the audience seem to like it.

Was my brother playing in "On The Sunny Side" at Fairfield Halls or would that be before his time?

16. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Dunno about that, but he played the top part on the Household Troops recording of it! :clap:

17. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

He may have been although all I can really remember is all of the front row cornets of the 'A' Band doing the scale up to the high Eb.

18. T Winch

T Winch Member

I think I've got that somewhere but I don't remember the piece. I'll have to dig it out and have a listen

19. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I wish I didn't have to admit it but it was before David's time! I think it was 1984.