looking for some good advice please!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by _si, Jan 24, 2010.

1. _si

_si Member

Hi, this is my first post here, ive been 'lurking' for a few weeks and decided to register.
    I am thinking about maybe getting back into banding this year.
    I have not played a single note in 19 years!
    My last band was the BT band in Stockport from 89-91 under John Maines. I was on 1st Baritone. I was 18 yrs old when i gave up banding and now am nearly 37.

I am unsure about what to do about getting started again?
    Will i still be able to play?
    Will it be possible to 'borrow' an instrument to get my lip back in until im ready to rehearse with a band?
    How long would it take after a 19yr break before i have the stamina for a 2hr rehearsal?
    Is now the right time to change instrument? Ive always fancied a go on Bb bass, if im 'retraining' my lip anyhow, could i retrain it to a much larger instrument/ mouthpiece?

Lots of Questions i know, but im sure im in capable hands here :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    advice
    note
    bass
    BT
    1st Baritone
  3. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Will i still be able to play? - Not to the same standard straight-away, obviously, but, put in the practice and the answer is YES

Will it be possible to 'borrow' an instrument to get my lip back in until im ready to rehearse with a band? Contact a local band and ask them. If they've got a training band, so much the better.

How long would it take after a 19yr break before i have the stamina for a 2hr rehearsal?
    Depends on how much practice you put in and the standard you want to achieve.

Is now the right time to change instrument? Ive always fancied a go on Bb bass, if im 'retraining' my lip anyhow, could i retrain it to a much larger instrument/ mouthpiece? It will almost be like starting from scratch, except you've got knowledge of playing, which will come back to you. Your lip muscles have probably 'forgotten' what instrument you used to play, so take your pick and go for it.

4. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

I was at BT around that era......... who's this?

5. The Wherryman

Sorry, I forgot my manners - welcome to tMP :)

6. _si

_si Member

Hi mate, my name is si crowley, i was in the band with Phil Ramsden, Paul Greenwood, Pete Shaw, Iwan Williams, Si Willis, Crackers, etc etc, played in Holland , and the first RAH xmas concert. Good memories....

7. _si

_si Member

Thankis for the welcome :D

8. The Wherryman

-si, if you let us know which area you are in, you never know, you might even get an offer

9. _si

_si Member

Im living in Congleton Cheshire now mate.

10. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

Hi Si
    I started playing again after a break of 40+ years. It took a while to get back into practice but I enjoy every minute. My reccommendation is JUST DO IT. Find a local band and go along and talk to them, decide on an iistrument and start paracticing. Its amazing how it all comes back ... eventually.

11. The Wherryman

I don't know that area, but it looks like you're not too far from Audley. You might like to contact Audley Brass Band and see if they can help you get started again.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    advice
    note
    bass
    BT
    1st Baritone
  13. RobBari

RobBari Member

I had a gap of around 20 years, started again in 2001, originally a cornet player but changed to baritone and aftera couple of years was lucky enough to play with Tredegar and get a 2nd place at the National finals. so give it a go you never know where you might end up.
    Back on cornet now but still enjoying playing.

14. grezz

grezz New Member

captain crowley hope your well mate. For a man with your talents it shouldn't take you long to get back in to the swing of things. There are a couple of bands over in Crewe one of which is conducted by Jamie Meredith who played solo euph at BT. Dont know if he has any vacancies but im sure he'd make you welcome for a blow.

15. _si

_si Member

Hiya mate!!
    Thanks for that, i have phoned Phil and hopefully i will see you for a pint at your rehearsal 2 weeks tomorrow for a catch up and some laughing at the old stories :tongue:

16. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Good luck Si, I stopped playing euph aged 19, and came back to play baritone 38 years later. Took a bit of time remembering things, and hardest job was trying to remember to count rests etc - something I have yet to achieve!

alanl58

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Me too.
    I was out of banding for 18 years, still playing regularly with a show band, but without having to actually read technically testing music very often.
    When I returned to banding my reading was diabolical, especially as you say, counting rests.
    It took me quite a while to get anywhere near my previous standard.
    There are those that will say I never did get it back !!
    Perseverance is the way.

- Mr Wilx

18. BoBo

BoBo Member

Si

Welcome. I play with Audley and frequently help out Jamie's Co-op 2000 Crewe plus there are other bands (e.g. Rode Hall Silver) which are even closer to you, it depends on how gentle a landing you want. I played French Horn as a teenager, packed in for 20 years and came back on Bb Bass. Once my lungs got over the shock of having the air sucked out of them every 2 bars or so, I was able to make a contribution after a couple of weeks.

PM me and I can give you the low down on bands around Congleton. Good Luck!

19. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Welcome Back!!!! I believe you never loose the Bug!!!!!

20. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I not so far from you (Macclesfield). I have a very good friend from cong ger on (as he calls it) Gods scared little acre!!

Good luck luck, hope you get back into it and find a band!

21. _si

_si Member

Thankyou everyone for your help/advice :D

22. halsasaurus

halsasaurus Member

I started Banding again in 2007 after a 20 year break. It was hard at first but always enjoyable. Just keep with it and it will come back again and it is a fantastic feeling when it does