Looking for King Duo Gravis Bass trombone

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by arniesarnies, Feb 19, 2014.

1. arniesarnies

arniesarnies Member

Hello out there. I'm looking to purchase a King Duo Gravis Bass Trombone. Preferably a 6b or maybe a 7b.

Not sure about prices but obviously the trombone must be in good condition with working valves and a good slide action.

Please drop me a mail or respond to this ad.

Many thanks,

2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

In my humble opinion it's the 6b you want. some think the valve register is stuffy because of the closed wrap and dependent set up, but I personally find it ideal as you can get a wide colour range on it.
  3. arniesarnies

arniesarnies Member

Thanks Bayerd, you the man. My bro has the 6B and when I had a parp on it it just played like a dream.

Its such a shame that such precision engineering it's made anymore. This is the reason why I'm going old school.

Thanks again for your reply.
  4. arniesarnies

arniesarnies Member

Maybe I'm aiming to high. There must be a few out there knocking about haha.
  5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

They do come round regularly - one every 6 months or so in the UK... Patience is the key, methinks. If you want a Duo Gravis (and there isn't anything else out there quite like them), then wait it out - one will turn up in time.
  6. arniesarnies

arniesarnies Member

Thanks Dave. You're right. I will wait it out a little. Cheers.
  7. flotrb

flotrb New Member

Greetings from Bill in Memphis Tennessee!

I came across your post, and thought that I would add the following.

In 1975 I purchased a "Duo Gravis" for Wichita Band Instrument Co. in Wichita, Kansas. The accompanying literature from the manufacturer, which I still have, stated:
    1975 King 7B 1490S Concert Silver Sonic "Duo Gravis"
    (serial # 530518)
    solid sterling silver 9 5/8" Bell
    .562" matching bore

The horn has been in service ever since that time and has performed admirably. A few years back, I sent the slide to the Slide Doctor and it came back in perfect health. I have always received compliments on its sound and adaptability. I have used the horn on studio gigs, Broadway, ballet, symphony and the occasional rodeo band! I am seriously considering parting with it...a definite "maybe". I just finished a 3 week run of "Wicked" on the horn.

Perhaps you have seen my post on the Trombone Forum:

I have an original Holton 169 (no, not a TR-169) Bb/F red brass bass trombone
    (serial # 355887) that I bought from Dorothy Ziegler (1st trombone St. Louis Symphony) in 1965 and have been playing since then. It is the horn that is usually referred to a s the Kleinhammer model. I pondered adding a second valve, but since the original 2nd valve attachment and noisy linkage were no longer available, I asked my local repairman, Joe Sellmansberger (also great tuba player) for a consultation.

Here is a link to my repairman's web posting:
    which explains the procedure. The modification works fantastically (I especially like the security in knowing that the low B is going to solidly be there).

In 1965, while on tour with the Metropolitan Opera National Company, I went to Burt Herrick's shop/garage in Burbank with my Holton 169. I explained to Burt what was lacking on the Bach 1½G I was currently playing, and he said that he had something in mind that had worked for "another bass trombonist" that was a friend of his.

He pulled out a cylinder of brass, which he placed on the lathe, and I watched the complete birth of my first custom-made mouthpiece . After several fittings, playings and adjustments that afternoon ...Voila!
    He said: "What would you like to name it?", and stamped my initials on the cup. I ask him what size it would be and he said: "Let's see, according to Bach...1½G...1G...0G...00G." So I guess I am the proud owner of an original Burt Herrick "double-ought" bass trombone mouthpiece, custom fit for a 1962 Holton 169 Bb/F bass trombone!

Bill Flores
  8. arniesarnies

arniesarnies Member

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your post. Experience in this game is everything and stories like yours don't come round that often.

Your DG sounds amazing as does your 169. You have two fine weapons at your disposal Bill.

i did read your post to on the trombone forum. We are anoraks aren't we? Haha.

Thanks again Bill!

9. arniesarnies

arniesarnies Member

Come on everyone. There must be a Duo Gravis knocking about somewhere. I've chatted to a few of our "over the water" trusties and there's plenty on the go over there. They're just a bit pricey on the postage though.

I'm still looking so please pm me if you have any ideas or know of one up for grabs.

Thanks everyone.
  10. arniesarnies

arniesarnies Member

Still looking!!!
  11. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

The postage from the States is a bit of a 'deal killer' but if you are in the UK then VAT at 20% is also due!! If VAT is a concern to you (perhaps not in Douglas) then it might be worth asking on the trombone forum (USA) whether anyone has suggestions for sources in mainland Europe - a lot of them 'mainlanders' do speak English.
  12. MoominDave

Are you dead set against buying from the US?
    This one - http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,76540.0/topicseen.html - is from a good seller, and a $2,500 price tag would after postage and import duty have it in your hands for less than £1,900. But not sure what your budget is - that's maybe a bit dear. More battered examples cheaper of course.

ROBTHEDOG Member

Hi I sold Duo Gravis about 5 years ago to a girl in Oxford - she played in Big Bnad -- maybe she's in market for different one I'll try and find here contact details and PM you -- It was an Ex Andy Fawbert instrument -
  14. MoominDave

She's not in Oxford these days - think she might be abroad?

I did raise the subject of buying it from her a year or two back - she wasn't interested.
  15. arniesarnies

arniesarnies Member

Thanks guys for your input. Yes one from America is definitely out due to vat and postage charges.
    They are more common place over there but ill wait it out for one this side of the pond.

To Rob, thanks mate it could be worth a try. Thanks guys again,

16. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

17. arniesarnies

arniesarnies Member

Hello everyone,
    A quick update. I never actually found a half decent DG so I decided to purchase another Bass trombone.
    Many thanks for your assistance and your pearls of wisdom.