Looking for hymn arrangement

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kristen63, Nov 25, 2010.

1. kristen63

kristen63 New Member

My band has engaged a female singer for a christmas concert and I'm looking for arrangements for vocalist and band. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, but I think the Irish hymn tune "Be Thou My Vision" would be great. Does anybody know a good arrangement for band and vocalist on this item and where I can get it?

Kristen

2. blue juice

blue juice Member

O Holy Night (Euph solo version) is lovely with a singer as is Candlelight Carol. Other good ones are Christmas Song, It's the most wonderful time of the year and Born for you.

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Richard Phillips' arrangement of "Who is he" could fit the bill.

4. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Is that the same tune a s Lord of all Faithfulness? If so it is in the Salvation Army Tune Books available from SP&S

5. AmandaD

AmandaD Member

we have used people need the lord from the savation army book. Thought provoking words words and a beautiful meoldy.

Amanda.x.

6. Number1euph

Number1euph Member

Pennine Music have a arrangement of "Be Thou My Vision" arranged by Stephen Tighe. It's £17.95. I have played it and is a lovely arrangement.

Check the website out - www.penninemusic.com

Thanks

7. SteveT

SteveT Member

Xmas Music

What kind of thing are you looking for?

8. SteveT

SteveT Member

Thankyou

You sir, are too kind!

9. kristen63

kristen63 New Member

Thank you so much for your kind replies. I will look seriously into every suggestion you make.

Stephen: (What am I looking for). My brass band will be doing a christmas church concert on the 17th of december. I need a couple of items arranged for female voice and band. These items may or may not be directly connected to christmas. The program will be an hour and we don't want to fill the whole concert with christmas music only.

Personally I feel that traditional folk songs and hymn tunes sounds particularly good for vocalist and band but we might think outside the box also (but bearing in mind that it is a christmas/church concert after all).

I listened to your arrangement of "Be Thou My Vision" and it sounds great, but do you think it is possible to fit in a vocal soloist?

More suggestions would be highly appreciated keep it coming :)

Kristen Arnøy.

10. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Redbridge played with a female singer at BiC this last weekend, ALW's With One Look, from sunset boulevard. Worked very well indeed.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Be Thou My Vision
    Irish
    Kristen
    band
    hymn arrangement
  12. kristen63

kristen63 New Member

Yes Ploughboy! I saw Redbridge Brass on the live internet coverage from BiC and it was that very performance that made me contact a female singer for our concert in the first place :). I loved their Bolero (BLAST) arrangement too.
    I send all your suggestions forward to our MD and I'm sure he knows ALWs music very well. Gonna be difficult to get our mitts on the score in time though…

Kristen

13. kristen63

kristen63 New Member

P_S_Price: Yes "Be Thou My Vision" is indeed the same tune as "Lord of all Faithfulness". Just found out thanks to Google ;-).

Kristen.

14. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Thought it Might be - Trouble with the SA Tune books though is the cost of them. You get a Lot of Hymn Tunes but they aint cheap £9.99 for one book and there are 2 books to get the full set (2 books per part x 26 players = best part of £520) - Ouch

15. kristen63

kristen63 New Member

£520 - Oh... Way over our budget for this concert I'm afraid!