looking for english heritage

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by sparkling_quavers, Mar 31, 2004.

1. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

This could be one for WoB!

I am looking for a recording of English Heritage (George Lloyd) can anyone suggest a CD?

I know it is on the Norwegian Brass Band Championships 2000?? CD but already have many copies of the other tracks.
  2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

The best recording by far IMHO is the recording made by David King and Black Dyke for Albany Records - The Music of George Lloyd.

It isn't generally available now but WoB or Midland may have some copies left, or try Albany Records themselves...

3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

ok thanks David I will try that
  4. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

English Heritage

Also on the Doyen Recording " CWS Glasgow Band meets the Sovereign Soloists "
    you have Roger Webster , James Gourley and a few other soloists accomp by the CWS Glasgow band , and the 1990 Winning performance of English Heritage from the RAH....
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I would like to endorse Straightmute's recommendation of the Dyke recording on Albany Records. Produced as part of their general commitment to the music of George Lloyd, it also includes "Diversions on a Bass Theme", "Royal Parks", "Evening Song" and the march "HMS Trinidad".

There is at least one other recording around, a live performance by Brass Band Limberg on their disc "At the Contests".
  6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

There's also a belting rendition on Europeans 1991 from Rotterdam, along with London Overture (both Britannia, with Nick Childs on Euph, Nick Hudson on trom and I think Martin Winter on top man) and Diversions on a Bass Theme with Black Dyke. This is available from WoB I think, tho not on their site. It was definately on the trade stand at Blackpool anyway. The English Heritage is the best I've heard.
  7. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I agree (although I have not heard Dyke Studio recording :wink: ). WOB did a copy for me at about £5.

Brittanias performance is terrific - Andy, why did the judges give you 5th for it? You remember what their remarks were?
  8. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Who knows? One of those banding things! We made up for it the year after!
  9. KWiper

KWiper New Member

Has to be the Dyke one

Dave King at the Baton & a superb line up.

Loads of other good stuff on the CD too.
  10. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

I've got a few of these tucked away in a cupboard (non stock items) and, yes, johnflugel had one for 5 pounds recently. (Can't find a pound sign on this US keyboard!).
    If anyone wants a copy, please email or PM.

We do have another version on Australian Nationals 2000;