Looking for an Eb Sousa for sale

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Aussie Tuba, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Hi I've been looking on ebay and the net in general to find an Eb sousaphone. Reasonable one though not one made in India. those ones looka bit sick.
    I am in aus so expect to have to pay a bit for shipping

2. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Contact my friend Dan at http://thevillagetinker.com He is a tuba player and a gifted repair person. He seems to find and sell some rather odd things. It sounds like you are looking for an Eb Helicon.

Contact Dan, he can probably help.

Jim

3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Thanks Doc
    but the helicon is not quite what I'm after, There are Eb sousaphones out there But they are rare as they havn't been made by the popular makers since the 60's.
    The ones you do see are in poor condition ( creases in the bell and valves missing ). Just need somthing playable, I can get some restoration work done here once I have one, But the basics need to be there IE all the valves and slides.
    I will check out the site / Link see what Dan has got.

4. Peach

Peach Member

Get yourself on the 'Tubenet' forum and put an ad in the For Sale section.
    There are quite a few of these in the US where they used to be used by Schoolkids switching from trumpet or WHY before 'progressing' onto the full sized Bb's.
    Since almost nobody plays Eb in the US - particularly Sousas you should find the prices appealing.
    If you don't know, good makes include York, King and Conn to name a few.
    Good luck!

5. Peach

Peach Member

PS. I wouldn't be put off by a few bell creases or dents. For the price you might pay you ought to be able to pay for a few repairs. Try to make sure you get a neck and bits as these can be all different.

6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Thanks Peach

I was looking at a King 4 valve in the US, put with the currant economoc situation the exchange rate hit a bump in the road and that was that.
    King fully restored was U$2,700. with transport around A$6,000 +
    more than I paid for my Sov. 982

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Be cheaper to go and collect it yourself !!!!

8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I was thinking of getting the Band to buy one, cheaper still. The only one I could find in Australia was a BBb King Fibre Glass model. Good sound though. and a lot cheaper than the one in America.

9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have found one on Ebay from indiana in the US, US$ 1,099.99 plus postage of US$155
    about A$2,000 or around 800 pounds UK
    should arrive in about 3 to 4 weeks. looks great in the pictures, best one I've seen for a while.
    much cheaper than the BBb's they have for sale.

10. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Eb tubas where once used a lot in US school districts. You could start someone on trumpet or cornet and move them to Eb tuba. Same fingerings (in bass clef) and it worked well.

But time moved on. Now they start kids on Bb baritone or euphonium and if they need a tuba, move them down an octave to BBb.

In HS 35 years ago in the US I played bari/euph/BBb tuba and trombone (and string bass in the orchestra). Today, most specialize. Me, I was valuable. I got a general music scholarship.

Back in the old days.

Jim

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Eb Sousa
    Eb
    India
    Eb sousaphone
    looka bit
  12. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Here's the one I found