Looking for a tuba

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mikelyons, Sep 25, 2012.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi all bass players here, I need a bit of advice. I'm thinking of spending a part of my pension pot on a new bass. I do not want to spend £7G or £8G on a new Sovereign, but I've been looking around for alternatives. Anyone got any opinions? Wessex look quite interesting. Are they worth the price? Anyone any experience of these.

All help appreciated.
  2. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

We bought a Wessex EEb at Cowes Concert Band recently and have been very pleased with it (the Euphonium as well).
  3. jamieow

jamieow Member

Does it have to be brand new?
    You'd get a nice 2nd hand Sov for a bit less than the £7 / 8k..........
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Rob Hanson

Rob Hanson New Member

or call Steve Herbert at John Packers on 01823 282386. We have the JP277 EEb and also the new JP377Sterling model which is outstanding. Steve can get both of them up to you to try
  5. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

I have to say, I'm quite interested by what I hear about the Wessex Eb's. I'd love to try one out for a while - I shall be watching this thread with interest to see what you go for!
  6. iffytboner

iffytboner Member

I had the msg below through band website on 10th. Happy to PM name and email if you want it?

Hello, would the band or any of its players be interested in purchasing an excellent condition used Besson Soverign 982 Ebb bass? I bought it new 8 years ago.

Please let me know if interested. I'm looking at selling for 3800 but am open to offers
  7. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

My thoughts are that a good second-hand Sov (or newish York) might be the best compromise - should be around £3k privately, around £3.8k from a dealer. Get one from the early 90's and you've got a great instrument. People seem to be asking silly prices - not sure if they're selling of course :)
    I recently bought a new, handmade instrument from Mark Carter (Mr Tuba). It's a new line he's working on based on the 80's Sovereign that is customisable. More than a Wessex but less than a new Sov. Does exactly what I want - I tried a Sov, York, Packer, Miraphone, Mr Tuba (Courtois) and Wessex and chose the MC one because it did something to my sound that the others didn't.
    That said, if I'd only had a few £k, I would not have been disappointed with the Wessex -it's very good for the money.
    Hope that helps..
  8. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

I've heard some really good comments about the Wessex instruments too and they seem to be used by more bands now. Also John Packers new EEb developed with Sterling will certainly be a consideration. However I am finding with a second hand price of about half of new the Besson Sovereigns are still the ones most people are going for both in the UK and overseas.
  9. Rob Hanson

Rob Hanson New Member

Just to clarify the JP277 and the Wessex are pretty much identical tubas made in the same factory on the same production line.

The new JP377 Sterling EEb (and the new JP378Sterling BBb) are a complete re-design and bridge the gap between the budget tubas and the Sovs/Yamaha/Miraphone etc etc
  10. Rob Hanson

Rob Hanson New Member

PS... we could do a new Sov for a lot less that £7-8K!
  11. Have to echo Rob's post. The JP377 Sterling is excellent. I tried it last week and it is better than my sov.
  12. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Well I have a York EEb Preferrnce and its a really good bass IMO I know the company doesn't exist anymore but there must be some knocking around still?
  13. mikelyons

Thanks, all, you are a treasure trove of useful info. I will have a look around and let you know what I decide, though it may not be for a month or two.

I have had a Wessex BBb bass for 4 months now and can t fault it..it s more in tune than any sovereign I ve ever had, you get a new one for about 2300 or a 25 year old battered second hand sovereign..no contest really.I ve played at all levels and it s very good.Does the job well enough.
  15. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Does this include the 983 ;)
  16. sherb

sherb New Member

To reply on behalf of Rob, YES Packers will do a good price on a 983. Give them a call on 01823 282386.
  17. mikelyons

Hi All,

I have gone for the Wessex. It is as good in sound as my band Sov was. I can get all the slides out and, after an initial problem with the valve springs I am happy that it is worth the money. Thanks Jonathan Hodgetts at Wessex Tubas for all your help. This (and the euph) are fine instruments.
  18. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I am sure you will be pleased with your instruments - we were delighted with the 2 instruments purchased from Wessex.
    Good to see the outcome of a thread as well - far too often the original poster forgets to let us know what happens.