looking for a recording of.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Majoresteve, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

Caprice - Zelda (cornet solo) by Percy code

got this out tonite, loved it so am going to play it with the band. can anyoen recommend a recording?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Richard Marshall playing it with Grimethorpe is classy ('Grimethorpe In Concert' - Egon: CD-SFZ105).... he adds a little more notewise to the original. Alternately, Alan Exley plays it with Imps ('Endeavour' - Doyen: DOYCD006).

3. Soppy

Soppy Member

Do you know where you can get hold of the music? I tried ordering it after hearing it on the Grimethorpe CD and in a concert by them, but nowhere seems to have it :(

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

5. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Zelda by Percy Code is published by Boosey & Hawkes (Reference No. M-050-00962-7) and the full band set is available from: Studio Music Company, 77-79 Dudden Hill Lane, London NW10 1BD. Telephone No. 0181-830 0110 Fax: 0181-451 6470

6. mutedropper

mutedropper Member

A good recording is Jim Shepherd and Dyke, I'd have to dig out the album for the name etc for details.

7. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Jimmy Shepherd recorded 'ZELDA' in 1970 with Black Dyke Mills Band on 'Golden Guinea Stereo GSGL 10463' the record was entitled IVORY AND BRASS the conductors on the record were Geoffrey Brand & Roy Newsome..........

8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Best performance heard live of this
    MARTIN WINTER -GRANADA BAND OF THE YEAR
    JUST AMAZING

9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Among the others listed is a CD of solos by Jack Mackintosh - "The Cornet King".

I believe the Jim Shepherd recording was on an LP called Ivory and Brass. Keith Quinn might be more helpful on that. It was recorded in 1970.

10. euphoria

euphoria Member

I had that one on VHS until it was lost some years ago:-(

I agree with you that it was a brilliant performance (with a teary-eyed Harry Mortimer, who made this solo his own, in the audience it was quite emotional).

I also have an old boot-leg concert performance with David King from around 1990!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    code
    band.
    Percy
    Caprice - Zelda
    recording
  12. Pondasher

Pondasher Member

Zelda - Cornet Solo

My favourite recording of Zelda is on the LP Ivory and Brass, recorded by Jim Shepherd with Black Dyke, on Golden Guinea GSGL10463 in 1970.

I have it in stock and is available for sale from my website, under the Brass Band Records section of www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk/quinn.htm

It is staggering to think that Jim recorded this solo nearly 35 years ago and I believe it has not been matched for clarity of sound and articulation. A true champion!

Keith Quinn