Looking for a publisher for my music

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ToddSmithComposer, Jan 14, 2016.

1. ToddSmithComposer

ToddSmithComposer New Member

Hows it going! Hopefully I'm putting this in the right place
    I'm looking for a potential publisher for my piece "Vita Destructa" and possibly any future pieces of mine. Google really doesn't like me at the moment... :p
    Thanks for any help you can give :)
  2. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Have you thought of self-publishing? If you can produce good quality pdfs of your scores and parts, SheetMusicPlus is a good way to go. Doing it this way, though, means you get only 45% of sales - but it's a way to get your works known.
  3. jobriant

jobriant Member

I would add that if you self-publish and sell the music yourself, you'll make 100% of the sale price, less production costs -- and if you sell in PDF format, production costs will be quite low. As Mike points out, you'll keep 45% if you sell through Sheet Music Plus. But if your music is sold by a traditional publisher, you'll get only about 10% commission on sales. If you use Sibelius notation software, you can also distribute your music through www.ScoreExchange.com, where you can sell it or let others download it free; I'm not sure what percentage you get on sales here.

If you choose to self publish, I also recommend that you include Bass Clef (concert pitch) versions of the parts for Baritone 1, Baritone 2, Tenor Trombone 1 Tenor Trombone 2, Euphonium, Eb Bass and Bb Bass. There's a growing number of Brass Bands in the USA, and many American players on these instruments learn to play only Bass Clef. With a good notation software program it takes only a minute or two to transpose these parts and create the PDFs for them, and you'll expand your market somewhat. I believe there are also some other "world parts" that Brass Bands from continental Europe would like to have, such as Trombone parts in "Bb - Bass Clef" -- printed in bass clef, written one step above the actual pitch. (But I'm not positive on this one.)

Jim O'Briant
    Gilroy, California, USA
    Conductor / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band
    wife divine likes this.
  4. nethers

nethers Active Member

Hi Jim, I've never heard of that one! Has anyone else come across this?

Staying off topic, the worst clef/transposition I came across (outside of early music stuff where anything goes) was in Return To The Forbidden Planet where the composer, clearly feeling the pain for the trombone player reading a very lofty solo in bass clef, writes a section in treble clef in C. As someone who cut his teeth playing treble clef in brass bands, that was a rehearsal I don't want to remember.

Back on topic for Todd, Ben Tubb is self-publishing (high quality!) stuff from Australia, you might be able to get some advice from him. I can send you some contact details if you can't find him on facebook.
  5. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

OT but a reply to the above:- as a legacy of the fanfare band in Benelux countries, there are trombone and euph players who require Bb bass clef parts (written an octave below 'our' treble clef parts) and bass players who read Eb and Bb bass chefs (also 8vb from the brass band norm.) They also breed horn players who play an F horn but read in Eb. I, like most concert band publishers, make these transpositions available as a norm.
    jobriant likes this.
  6. GordonH

GordonH Member

I met a German who played a Bb cornet but had learned from concert pitch parts so when he saw a bottom C on the page he played it 1 & 2, which is a concert C (D in Bb). To get round this he had his cornet extended (all of the slides) so it was pitched in Ab so his D sounded as our C.
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

1 & 2 for low D? Damned inscrutable, those Germans!
    Slider1 likes this.
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I had to read that four times before I got my head round it...