Looking for a piece...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thepupil, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Thepupil

Thepupil New Member

I'm looking for a piece to complete our line-up for a competition in the near future with my university brass band. I'm looking for something along the lines of in perfect peace or crimond, something which the band will have not played before, and has that magic hymn/slow piece feel.

It'll be a great help if you could add your suggestions :)

Many thanks
  2. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Wilfred Heaton - Just as I am. My personal favourite Hymn Tune Setting.
  3. Cornet Luke

Cornet Luke Member

Glorify Your Name: Kevin Ponsforth - Beautiful piece with a huge climax, and great ending.
    Mongolian Folk Tune: Judith Hayes - Wonderful oriental styled piece.
    Amazing Grace: William Himes - Nice glorioso section, with Cornet, Sop and Euph taking key roles
    The Day Thou Gavest: Philip Wilby - Strong Euphonium needed.

All would fit perfectly for what you need!

Hope that helped,
  4. SteveT

SteveT Member

5. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

The light of the world is really nice, written by Dean Goffin I think.
  6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Philip Harpers

Witch of the Westmerlands - Scottish folk song (feature's baritone & cornet in first two verses). Very effective.
    Who Wants to Live Forever - Queen - haunting treatment of the melody, never gets too loud, it's slow and hymn like, but a modern melody.
  7. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

8. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Fantastic suggestion!
  9. ChrisHatch

ChrisHatch Member

10. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Played a good arrangement of Nicea a few times. Can't remember the arranger though.
  11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You're probably thinking of the Bill Himes one, although there's a more straightforward one from Ray Steadman-Allen as well.
  12. nethers

nethers Member

I would second SteveT's Gaelic Blessing.
  13. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Kenneth Downie wrote a followup to In Perfect Peace, simply called Peace but I would also like to suggest two gems from Peter Graham; Margaret (must add it to the website soon) and St Teresa.

Margaret was recorded by Grimethorpe Colliery Band on Hymns II while there is a recording of St Teresa by the ISB on The Peter Graham Collection both of which are available to download from World of Brass Tunes if you want to audition hear them before deciding.
  14. blue juice

blue juice Member

Water of the Tyne arranged by Philip Harper, beautiful piece.
  15. QAD

QAD Member

have you played Irish Blessing - simple but very hard to play well
  16. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

When The Stars Began To Fall

You might want to consider 'When The Stars Began To Fall' arranged for band by Iain McKnight. You can here it played by the Leyland Band here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INlwKOBi7u8
  17. waynefiler

waynefiler Member

Du you know if this has been published?
  18. Mr Ratty

Mr Ratty Member

19. Basstiger

Basstiger Member

"Lord of all Hopefulness" arranged by Kenneth Downie. Simple but very effective and doesn't need much putting together.
  20. SteveT

SteveT Member

You are very kind Marc, didn't realise it had got to NZ? Funnily enough, Be Still was a winner at the University Brass Band contest recently and I have been asked to produce a Symphonic Wind Band version of it by the Uni Band conductor involved. It won kind praise from Alan Fernie who was the adjudicator. Again, many thanks!
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012