Looking for a March

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jobriant, Jan 6, 2019.

1. jobriant

jobriant Active Member

Can anyone tell me whether the march "Engineer in Chief" by Young is published for Brass Band, and if so, where the score and parts may be purchased?

If there's no Brass Band edition, then I'd be interested in knowing who holds copyright on the Wind Band edition so that I can seek permission to arrange it for Brass Band.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Jim O'Briant, Gilroy, California, USA
    Music Director / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band
    www.PacificBrassBand.org

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

There is a chance that it was never published and is held by a particular Military Band. Pity if that’s the case ‘cause it’s a nice sounding piece. My suspicion is that it was written for a Wind Band and that there will be no Brass Band version, but I hope to proven wrong.

The piece is played here by the Band of the Corps of Royal Engineers:

This site might also help you Young and Brigham are apparently one and the same person, and Young was Musical Director of the Royal Engineers in 1942 : Colchester Castle - Quick March

The Band of the Corps of Royal Engineers have a Facebook page and contact details on it. You never know but an exceeding polite message might both reach them and produce some favourable answer. They also have a physical address listed (as well as an electronic link) so maybe send a proper letter the the MD too. Just a few thoughts which I hope help.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  3. jobriant

jobriant Active Member

I found this march through the YouTube video above, which was recommended to me by an attendee at one of our Pacific Brass Band concerts, 4 - 5 years ago. I've tried to contact the Corps of Royal Engineers via email and via their Facebook page, but have never received a response. I also found YouTube videos of a high school band in California playing this piece in parades, about 8 - 10 years ago. They were kind enough to send me a copy of their full score, but I'm speculating (from the number of corrections in it) that it was transcribed from the above recording, and performed without permission.

I agree that it would be sad for this excellent march to be unavailable to wind bands and brass bands around the world.

Thank you for the additional link above -- I'll explore that avenue later in the week. (Business dinner tonight & Pacific Brass Band rehearsal on Monday.....)

Jim O'Briant, Gilroy, California, USA
    Music Director / Staff Arranger, The Pacific Brass Band
    www.PacificBrassBand.org

4. 2nd tenor

I’m pleased to have been some help but disappointed not to have been of more. I’m inclined to think that emails don’t get the respect that a hard copy letter gets so would take that route. The Facebook page tells me that the MD changed a short while back, I’d be inclined to read the page well and send physical letters to both the new chap and his predecessor (at his new reigimental barracks).

The forum does have some ex-military Bandsmen (and women too I think) as members. Vegasbound was a Military Bandsman some years back and, should you have no success from your other efforts, a PM to him might help you find routes to contacting the correct people.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  5. jobriant

jobriant Active Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

6. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

Don't quote me but I believe sadly, that the RE Band has been disbanded ( excuse pun)

7. 2nd tenor

I believe that both REME (Royal Electrical and Mechanical Enginners) and RE (Royal Engineers) still have Bands, well according to this link and looking down the associated web page: Corps of Army Music . Perhaps it was one of the associated TA bands that you were thinking of?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Quote: "There is a chance that it was never published and is held by a particular Military Band."

I had that thought too while I was looking to see if I could uncover anything different, which I was not able to do. So now I have a question......if a musical composition, such as this example, is never published is it copyright protected?

9. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

It depends but yes it can be. Some pieces can be commissioned by individual people or bands for example, and may never get published, but there could still be copyright involved.

10. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

I did say don't quote me, But I was thinking of the RE Band at Brompton Barracks in Gillingham,Kent

11. 2nd tenor

Sorry, I took “don’t quote me” as meaning you didn’t want your statement to be regarded as definitive. As per the link I supplied the RE Band are deemed to be based in Chatham, but that’s right next to Gillingham. The Barracks is next to the historic Chatham Dockyard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice