Looking for a Database for band instruments

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Al, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Al

Al Member

I want to put all our instruments onto a database that as well as having the obvious fields of make, model, serial number, bandsman details, etc would also include a field for photographs.

I suppose I could knock one up with Microsoft Access or similar, but I wondered if anyone had one already they wouldn't mind sharing?

Cheers for any help

2. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

hmm, your probally best knocking one up yourself really but be carefull about what data you are holding etc data protection ACT and all that
  3. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I am currently writing such a solution for library\instrument purposes in Visual Basic and SQL, which the band decided was a good solution
  4. Al

Al Member

Nice one M'am,

I have found loads of inventory and equipment type databases now, on the web. For example, farm or office equipment, which can easily be amended to the sort of thing that is needed. Still, a bespoke band database would be a nice little project if you have the skills. Maybe your project could become a brass band standard?

Regarding the library database, it will not be too long before all our music is digitised anyway.

Oh the bliss - no more missing parts and the whole library available at the click of a button!
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Interesting ... can you be more specific what's being done here?
  6. Al

Al Member

I was working on a project over 10 years ago although there had been some pretty good prototypes made in other countries.

It was a bit in front of its time and no one understood what we were on about and very cynical. At about the same time we were trying to explain the uses of the likes of Sibelius. Most musicians just stared at us and more or less laughed in our faces. "Computers can't write music" and that sort of stuff.

Sp we ended up doing software for the Oil Industry and latterly for the Water Industry.

Anyway, all a band's music was to be scanned, indexed and available on a laptop (now it would be such as an ereader so more robust and easier to handle) and retrievable at a click or two of a button. So basically a database that you can call up any piece or part held, as required.

Making notes? No problem, just put in edit mode and 'write' on the screen and save if necessary.

Lots of advantages - no need for pegs in the park amd no need for lights in those extra dark concert venues. Music never gets lost.

A few disadvantages of course but easily overcome, especially with recent battery technology.

I could go on.

So, yeah, 10 years we should all be using some similar system.

Incidentally, the people I was trying to 'turn on' to the likes of Sibelius (there were at the time far better programmes about) speak to me as if they invented the programme. One even refers back to the original meeting and somehow 'remembers' it was him trying to tell me about using computers to write music.....
  7. awalker

awalker Member

Have a look here: http://www.band-net.co.uk

Its not quite ready yet and am hoping to start distributing it from the 1st November.

The website is a working progress and am hoping to get loads more information on there either tomorrow or Monday.
  8. Lucy V

Lucy V New Member

This sounds fascinating! Are there any issues over Copyright as you are scanning the music in?

9. Al

Al Member

Yes, this is all very fascinating!

There are issues. All of a sudden music is becoming very easily accessible and distributable. That doesn't alter the existing laws though.

Publishers will have to move with the times (many are) or spend all their resources fighting legal cases.

ps (and for example) any chance of you emailing me 2nd Cornet part of Hootenanny which we lost at the last park job?
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  10. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Just had a look at the website. Sounds really good :)