Looking for a baritone...

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Sarah_L, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sarah_L

Sarah_L New Member

Hello,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

I'm starting at Salford University at the end of this month and desperately need an instrument!! I'm looking for a decent quality baritone for around £500, I live in the north-west.

Can anyone be of any help???

Many thanks in advance,
    Sarah.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    forum
    baritone
    anyone
    thanks
    Many
  3. Baritone

Look at the Helios compensating baritone.

David

4. Sarah_L

Sarah_L New Member

Thanks for your help, I'll check them out.

In the mean time I'm going to go and look at a Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Baritone that I've found online, I've heard that the Imperial Euphoniums are fantastic instruments, does anyone know how the baritones compare?

5. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

depends on your standard and the level you're playing at, but I suspect you'll find an Imperial/700 series type too 'tenor horny' (for want of a better word!). They're smaller bore with a much smaller bell flare than Sovs, so produce quite a different sound and imo its a lot easier to make them sound 'orrible.

2nd hand Sovs are going for an absolute mint at the mo so you'll struggle to find a decent one for £500. Have you looked at things like Virtuosi or contacted some of the big shops (Normans, Band Supplies, Trevada etc etc) to see what they've got?

Its also worth seeing what bands are available to join - there might be one near the uni with a vacancy and an available instrument!

6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I know a guy who has a silver plate Sovereign for sale. It's in fair condition for it's age and plays well. I think he's looking for £600ish, but it's in Somerset. Don't know if he'd be willing to post it though.