Longest rehearsal of a piece?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mike Saville, Jun 20, 2003.

1. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Having spent an hour and twenty minutes rehearsing 1 piece last night (Barbarian Hordes :cry: ) I was wondering what the longest time anyone has spent rehearsing a single piece either a: in 1 rehearsal or b: over a number of weeks.

For me a: was last night and b: was last summer/autumn when practising Leonardo for Torquay - 13 weeks in total.

2. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

ooo Mike, appologise to the drummers for the kit part, that was me who did that. sssssooowwweeeeeeeee

3. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

a full two hour rehearsal, and if you include an hour long sectional before hand, that's painful. Rehearsed passacaglia for about 10 weeks.

4. davidsait

davidsait Member

Yeah, the longest I've ever spent rehearsing a piece was also Leonardo for Torquay. 3 months, 2 hour rehearsals, twice a week.

But hey - I enjoyed it - it was my first real rehearsal with a higher section band (it's now Championship).

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just after it was published, we started looking at Kevin Norbury's Variations on Maccabeus, spending probably 30 - 45 minutes each practice on it. Although it was beginning to come into shape, despite still having some problems with the waltz section, it seemed that the band as a whole did not have enough stamina - we were running out of steam before we got to the end. As a result, after looking at it for several months, we never did play it out, although I'm sure the practice we did on it wouldn't have done us any harm.

6. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

After hearing these horror stories, thank you Roger for keeping variety to each rehearsal.

BTW - Rog tends to look at a piece and work on it a little bit each week. That way we do improve (hopefully) but we don't get bored, so therefore keep the enthusiasm.

7. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Not the longest but it felt like.

When I was 17, we at the Salvation Army Welsh school of music were privileged (???) to have the staff bandmaster at that time Bernard Adams to rehearse the A band.

He decided that Ray Steadman-Allen's Festival March High Council would be starter.

We knew that he was a bit of a perfectionist but we were of age range 12-18 so expected some allowances.

We spent 45 minutes on the introduction and letter A, about 30 bars in total after which he talked for 10 minutes and then left.

It could have been worse, the practice was scheduled for two hours!

8. jinx

jinx Member

Does it count that I had my first rehearsal of Devil and the Deep Blue sea when I was sixteen, and have recently rehearsed it again 11 years later? :lol:

9. bladder

bladder Member

It wasn't that bad...I mean no thinking required, no fiddly stuff, no fannying around, just honking!! No brains or finesse needed. Marvellous!!

10. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Not how I would describe it! I'll keep my true opinion to myself in case our MD joins the forum.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Leonardo
    Torquay
    night
    single piece
    practising Leonardo
  12. blondie

blondie Member

Having said that Kari, yes Roger does keep the rehearsal lively and the pressure really goes on the night before a concert because we have as you say improved pieces slowly. But we did spend (I've no idea really how long) months on Cambrian Suite for Torquay, but i am not complaining because i enjoy playing and it was worth it (for me anyway) as it was the first time Wem and myself have ever been to the nationals.
    Also you have to look at what the next engagement is, because you can then look through the pad and say right I know whats going to be pulled to pieces and then you prepare for it and hopefully save time, at rehearsals and still manage to keep them lively.

13. Kari Anson

Kari Anson Member

Oh, I see is that what you're supposed to do??????

14. jonford

jonford Member

Once nearlly all summer playing just Scena Sinfonica and The Land of the mountain and the flood!! Not my favourite summer! :?

15. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

oooh, the memories :cry:

my youth band usually run weekend courses just before the yotuh nationals, so it would be 2full days rehearsing 2pieces...

16. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

about 10 weeks on Celestial Prospect before last area contest. But usually have one peice a rehearsal which we spend more time on than the others.

17. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

not a complete piece of music but I do recall spending about an hour practicing 2 bars on a test piece which I just couldn't play. I only shut up when my neighbour banged on the wall :shock:

18. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Must say I'm glad I was away for that practice!
    The MD did say that the band had sussed it out and now I know why!
    Thought there were a few nervous twitches when he said "Get Barbarian Hordes out"!

19. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Hey Roy,

I'll try not too make my hatred of that piece too obvious next time we play it. It'll be tough though .. . ..

Good to have you with the band!

Apologies to John our MD if you're reading this :oops:

20. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Would it help if we got into character and dressed up in barbarian gear.
    After all being Cornish I might feel at home

21. bladder

bladder Member

All you need to do is play in a brutal and savage fashion, as if you life (front row position) depended on it!! :wink:

And blad it's no good grovelling to the MD, you're a marked man!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Leonardo
    Torquay
    night
    single piece
    practising Leonardo