Longest Name -

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, Mar 13, 2007.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I have been reading about Place names and in due course came upon the Longest name plus the information on how it came about, now on this site, which also happens to be " The Longest Domain Name " there is at the bottom of the site a link to a Computer speaking the name. If anyone would like to hear a computer talk, you need to use this link.
    www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch.com

or type in --- the longest domain name

or better still, type in the link yourself, starting with the www.

2. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

The problem with the computer generated version is that it's a computer trying to read and speak the Welsh word in English with an American accent.

If you really want to hear it properly you need to get one of the many of us on tMP that can speak Welsh to record it and post it as a media file on this forum - Is this possible Dyl ???

However it's all really a bit of a con - the town itself was only Llanfairpwllgwyngyll until in the Victorian era local businesses were looking for a way to entice people to stop off on their way to Dublin on the boat train (or to travel further than the coastal resorts of Llandudno and Colwyn Bay).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

6. Di

Di Active Member

7. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Does for me. Maybe you have a Welsh URL blocker enabled. :tongue:

8. Di

Di Active Member

Yea, that'd be right. Can't be doin' with these bloomin' foreigners. ;):tongue:

No John, no I didn't mean it really please don't hit the ban butt....

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Wales may lay claim to the longest place name in the UK, but it is now apparently only counted the third longest world-wide.

I was aware of New Zealand's claim, with "Tetaumatawhakatangihangakoauaotamateaurehaeaturipukapihimaungahoronuku pokaiwhenuaakitanarahu".

This, however, has now been topped by a place in Thailand:
    "Krungthepmahanakornamornratanakosinmahintarayutthayamahadilokphop
    nopparatrajathaniburiromudomrajaniwesmahasatharnamornphimarnavatarnsathitsakkattiyavisanukamprasit".

All I can say is, they must have pretty big envelopes :eek:

10. dyl

dyl Active Member

And if their postal charges are costed like ours, pretty big postage bills as a result! ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Longest Name
    Longest
    The Longest Domain Name
    link
    Longest Domain