Lonely Mill by Handel Lancaster

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmo shaz, May 21, 2004.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Thank you for that. Always nice to have a mystery of long standing tidied up.

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's 2019 now; let's try putting Handel Lancaster into the www.ancestry.co.uk database...

We see the already-mentioned 1911 census record for Stephen Handel Lancaster, orchestral conductor aged 33 and his wife Elizabeth. He still seems an excellent candidate for the composer of this piece.
    But, intriguingly, we find at least one and perhaps two further Handel Lancasters - one in Glasgow electoral records between 1920 and 1930. He's alongside "Mrs Lily Lancaster" in 1920 and 1921, but alone in 1922 and 1923, and then back with Mrs Lily in 1926, 1929, and 1930. I initially thought this would be his wife, but then it occurred to me that it was a) a bit weird to move out and then back in with your spouse, and b) women didn't have full suffrage until 1928 - to have been listed, Lily must have been i) over 30, and ii) either decently well-off or a graduate; I suspect she was actually his mother.
    Then in 1934-5 in Liverpool, there's another Handel Lancaster record, someone living with Alice Lancaster. Might be the same person, after marriage? Or someone different... Either might or might not be the same as the person in the 1911 census.

Someone can check back in the mid-2020s to see if we've learned anything more by then... The 1921 census will be out by then, if nothing else.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice