Londonderry Air

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by TIMBONE, Apr 29, 2005.

1. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

There are many brass band arrangements of Londonderry Air. In the film Brassed Off, Grimethorpe played a brass version of the MILITARY BAND arrangement by PERCY GRAINGER. 'A Tune from County Derry'. I know this, because I have conducted this arr. several times with wind bands, and I recognised the unmistakeable harmonies and countermelodies.

Can anyone tell me if this is a published version.

2. Bones

Bones Member

Hi,

It is published. But who by I'm not sure. It's a pretty old one, so whether it is in print is another question.

Cheers

Rich

3. barkiniron

barkiniron New Member

The arrangement is by Dr. Denis Wright. Sorry, I don't know the publisher.

4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Tim I'm playing it tonight so will look up the publisher - won't get back to you till Tuesday morning though so maybe someone else could let you know if it's still in print.

Depping in a production of Brassed Off with Oughtibridge Band next week - went to a first "technical" reheasal last night with the actors - pity "Danny" can't conduct as good as his acting. I imagine lots of banders think you don't need to bother about the conductor - but try ignoring someone in front of you who can't conduct.

5. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Its definitely published seeing as our copies have "Grimethorpe Colliery British Coal Board Band" stamped on the top! ;) Can't remember publisher though, Wright and Round maybe??

6. MickM

MickM Member

IRISH TUNE FROM COUNTY DERRYBrass Band arrangement by
    DENIS WRIGHT PERCY GRAINGER

Copyright 1927 by Schott & co.Ltd.,London S&Co.Ltd.4483
    Printed by Augener Ltd., Acton Lane,London,W4

This is the only info on my part if it's of any help!

7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

I believe Frank Renton did an arrangement, but don't know the publisher. His arrangement was on the cd ' Classic Brass' with him him conducting Grimethorpe. About 1989 I think, but don't quote me on the time.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  8. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I thought that was the Denis Wright one though? Certainly sounds like it

9. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Thanks everyone. You know what they say, if you want to know anything, ask tMP :biggrin: :clap: :)