Londonderry Air: Percy Grainger

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Aussie Tuba, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Does any one know the publisher of the arrangement of The Londonderry Air used in the movie Brassed off?

2. matt_BBb_bass

matt_BBb_bass Member

If im correct... I'm sure i herd its not being published anymore? Might be wrong....

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I haven't seen credits ever given to the arranger. Surprising, considering the high profile it was given. The truth is out there.

4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I did play it from published material when I played with Sunnybank and District Band in 02 and it was on published music then, I just don't remember the publisher. My current Band wants to play it, just need to find supplier/ Publisher to obtain it.

5. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I've just been onto the section about Brassed Off on Grimethorpe Band's website, where there is a list of music and a 'click to order' button. Ordering is disabled for Londonderry Air. Just for reference:

http://www.grimethorpeband.com/content/brassed-off

6. Robin Norman

Robin Norman Member

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... but is that the same arrangement used in "Brassed Off"?

8. bigybsfan

bigybsfan New Member

yes, "Irish Tune From County Derry" is the brassed off arrangement by Percy Grainger. but i'm not sure whether you can still get it... but just in case: The Wind Band Version (which is actually the original, it was transcribed for BB by Frank Wright I think) is quiet common and easy to adapt to brass band...

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Yes, it's still available as Robin said. Entitled 'Irish tune from county Derry' and arranged by Denis Wright. A lovely arrangement - can't be bettered in my opinion.

However, there are two drawbacks - there's no score, just a solo cornet/conductor part. Also, you need a very secure soprano player as it takes the lead in the second verse. I last played it depping with Grimethorpe in a concert, so no problems there - Kevin Crockford was superb!

10. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Thanks. That does help

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Londonderry Air
    Brassed
    Percy Grainger
    Londonderry Air
    Percy Grainger Does
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Just to say you have to be rather careful when it comes to Percy Grainger's arrangements. As far as I am aware there were at least 4 versions of "Irish tune from County Derry", including at least one with very acerbic harmonies. (That is not to say by any means that the version referred to above is not the right one, just that it is worth checking!)

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I had to borrow a copy of the soundtrack to compare it with the recording YBS did (which is the Denis Wright arrangement). They do match. I just find it strange that no reference to Denis Wright or Schott was acknowledged, given the stringent use of material owned by the publisher.