London & SC Counties Championship Section Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by johnflugel, Mar 22, 2004.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I was surprised at the lack of support for the top section in the London area yesterday so not sure what the response will be to my posting.

I missed the first three bands, so can only comment on what I heard from Kidlington Concert onwards.

On reflection, Redbridge for me were probably the best overall performance. No performance really captured my attention as such but three certainly stood out from the rest.

Alliance displayed fantastic technical abilites and really zipped through the technical passages: the cornets inparticular were very bright and precise. They suffered a little for me with the lack of warmth in the slower passages with the exception of Becky Smith on principal Euph who deserved the soloist prize.

Aveley had the makings of a really excellent peformance. The soloists were strong and the fasters movements were clear and not rushed but their slow movements for me were very very very very slow. It was all nicely balanced but for me had a real lack of flow. Shame, because there was some very good good work elsewhere.

Well done to Kidlington who were very compact and neat and to Friary Guildford who's performance was not out of place in 4th. Their flugel was the best of the day for me.

Comiserations to my bro's band (Regent) who came 11th. Some of the soloists crashed on the day but I thought that the band work and approach was good and surpassed a number of bands above them. Never mind!

Well done to all - considering the obvious standard gulf between London and the stronger areas further north (!), there were some really good attempts at a very tough band came away unscathed.

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I'll pass that along, thanks! He really is a star - was on prinicpal til a few months ago, and has made the transition fantastically. He's also the best person in the world to sit next to - I call him my rock! :lol:

Didn't actually hear any other bands due to our late draw, but on form wasn't at all surprised by the top three. I'm still in shock over my own performance and our fab result though - totally unexpected!

I was really pleased by Roy Roe's comments from the stage too - it was lovely to hear such positive remarks about the general standard from a "northern" judge.
  3. supersplit

supersplit Member

I don't think it was our best prformance (especially me - I even played a wrong one in my cadenza - I'm sure you noticed!). But thankfully RR thought it was good enough to win.

Congrats to Friary - Absolutely fantastic!

Now that more London bands are being invited to the cross-region contests (such as Senior cup/trophy/shield) the gulf in standard you mention might start to decrease?
  4. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Was that Roy Roe?

I thought it was Jim Bowen!
  5. supersplit

supersplit Member

'Lovely, smashing, great, super!
    'Let's look at what you could have won.........':lol:
  6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Think you were sat in front of us, I was with the 'Regent' lot and we all said it was an edition of 'Bullseye' was really really awful. That bit where he praised the secondary soloists and everyone was taking the mick by cheering after each one. Can see why guys like Elgar Howarth and Howard Snell don't want to contest anymore when this is the level of appraisal we have come to expect! :oops:

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

did becky win it then? that would be 3 years running, the aliance euph has won the soloist prize, and both of them are 1st study trombone players :)
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

I must admit... the Redbrige really quiet bit was spectalar... I was scared to breathe!! :D
  9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

For some reason our area doesn't have best soloist or instrumentalist, they're specific prizes just for cornet or euph - so trombone, horn and flugel don't get a look in (yeah I know - whats new about that! :roll: ). I didn't hear any of the top 3 bands, but going by the buzz in the hall, and previous form, it seems like all the prizes went to the right people.
  10. Meg

Meg Member

Yep, Becky Smith won the euph prize. That's because she's a star! :lol:

Alliance Brass
  11. supersplit

supersplit Member

Alliance Brass

Is that Megan Bailey?

Well done megs! Good result for you and Tim!

I still think we were a tad lucky!

Is Alliance doing Blackpool or The Masters?

Oh! and good luck with the wedding.
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

ello megan (and tim) :D
    hope you're keeping well. See you soonish no doubt
  13. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Becky's soloist trophy is on our fireplace as I type this. The classy silver painted plasticky trophy will be treasured by Becky and myself. I for one, know she will be devastated when she has to hand it back.
  14. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

lol at least i know my brothers trombone teacher is a good player then!!
  15. Meg

Meg Member

Clearly, it was a very special and proud moment for her. Shame she was too trollied in the bar to go and accept it! :guiness

Cheers Supersplit, see you at the wedding and congrats on the hat trick. I'll be at the Masters, but not playing. Apparently our application got turned down for the Senior Trophy! Ha! Guess that was based on last year's behaviour at the area :cry: Glad to see it was a much more civilised band this year :lol:

Nadia - Don't know if you're YABBing it at Easter, but I won't be there. (Got some wedding to go to). Maybe we can reunite the dream team :?: next year!
  16. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

That does surprise me Megan! Bet you were sober though :shock:
  17. jambo

jambo Member

Hope you dont tarnish the inside of it with all that cava Lauradoll!
  18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Vairree interesting... A certain lurking member of our band has been agitating me for ages to post something about what he considers to be a flagrant anti-L&SC bias in the selection procedures for the Spring Festival. I know we've repeatedly had no luck in getting in, which, when you consider the lowest level of the bands present, is a bit bizarre, but for them to turn down Alliance? That's getting a little outrageous...

Hi Megan, by the way.

19. supersplit

supersplit Member

So how many Londaon bands are at the Spring festival then? Us and Aveley are in the Grand shield. I thought there were more....... :cry:
  20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I think City of Oxford are the only other one.