London Parks?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by NeilW, Apr 24, 2007.

1. NeilW

NeilW Member

I just wondered if there were going to be any bands in the London (Royal) parks this year?

I don't know of any that are - including those that have appeared in previous years - and the the only Musical Event listed on the website is the "Household Cavalry Pageant 2007" .

The last gossip I heard was that the budget hadn't been agreed. Maybe I'm being cynical, but I wonder if the funds have been diverted to Stratford to fund the money-pit of an olympic project...

Its a shame as it was a "good gig" and popular with the audiences (& tourists)

2. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Yes - Tilbury is playing in St James Park over the bank holiday weekend (I believe) in august, and Becontree are there too on the 1st of September, I think??? Have to check cos I might have that date wrong, but you could always look at the website?!? ;)
  3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

We played last year and applied for this year. When I rang to find out why I hadn't heard anything I was told that they were over subscribed with applications and that bands which had played last year were not being given a date this year. I was told that we would be able to play there again in 2008! Maybe that was just a cover up though?
  4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

IT, that sounds like the deal bands have had over the years. Personally, I think London bands should get preference...

Fulham lost out on Golder's Hill last year for the same stated reason, but we're at Greenwich Park on 5th August.
  5. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

I'm doing St James' Park twice this year, once with RAF Halton Area Band on the 1st July, and once with Chalgrove (London and Southern Counties 4th Section Champions!!) on the 19th August.

Halton have done St James' Park for the last 3 maybe 4 years now. So sounds to me like that was a cover up!!

Is there a definitive list anywhere of who is doing when?
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  6. NeilW

NeilW Member

I know Stonefield (who did one last year) and Kidlington (who didn't) both applied in January.

Neither (as far as I know) have got a date this year.

In theory the Royal Parks website should show who's on when (it has in the past), but its rather bare at the moment....
  7. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

Too true Will!
    Its was bad enough already for the local bands to keep going and then they "opened up" the Royal Parks gigs to bands from all over the place!
    Not fair in my view!
  8. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Why so?

Can't London bands apply to play in almost every other venue in the country/world? There are local bands to most concert venues, surely it's good to have some diversity/competition for concerts arena's?
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Think there is a major difference in fees though e.g. St James is something in the order of £1800 to £2000 - Wetherby Bandstand or similar in Yorkshire area £300.00.

I have played with BBSBB a couple of times but the last was in 2005.
  10. robcornet

robcornet Member

You also have to take into account that if a band from Yorkshire goes to London to play, it costs them around £600-£800 just to get there etc. I think it's best if bands play in the areas they come from as keeps the costs down.:biggrin:
  11. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Fair point. But by the time the bands have travelled down from 'Up North' and spent upwards of £600/£800 on a coach/possibly accommodation, £1300 (on average), there ain't much difference!!

Edit, I was a bit too slow on that ^ point!!!

I think it's just the luck of the draw, I do seem to remember seeing someone writing down what we were playing last year..... Maybe if they like what they hear, they invite back next year, (I'm a poet and I obviously do know it!)

Both bands i'm playing with this year are conducted by the same person. Maybe it's not what you know.........
  12. 1/4 tone sharp

1/4 tone sharp New Member

I think the criteria changed a few years ago when the budget for Royal Park entertainment was altered to include other groups, such as steel bands, poetry recitals and other art forms. We would rightly argue that bands offer a wider and more entertaining repertoire, but the days of brass bands having every London park allocated to them has long gone, as has the right of "local" bands to be the only ones allowed to perform there. Its possible that London/local bands overprice themselves, so it may be more economical for the Parks Authority agents to pull a band in from Yorkshire or the like anyway.
  13. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

It was the policy a few years back (it might still be) for the Royal Parks to seek to engage better "quality" bands to the detriment of the local bands who had come to rely on the income these concerts afforded.
    I do find it ironic that substantial sums of money are now "lost" to the movement as two thirds of the fees are now spent on the cost of a band getting there in the first place!
    Just think how many new instruments my old band Crystal Palace (or any other local band for that matter) could buy for its fledgling "B" Band if it could rely on 2 or 3 Royal Parks engagments every summer?
  14. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

That`s just plain silly!
    Most local bands would come out for less than £1000...yet they pay over £1500(apparently!) for bands from up country.
  15. Alan MacRae

Alan MacRae Member

Last time I played (Regents Park) I think it was £1200, for 2 spots, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Each of these had to consist of 2 x 45 mins (minimum) and we weren't allowed to repeat any music from afternoon to evening. Subtract the cost of coaches, conductor's fee etc and you're left with an amount that you could easily get for playing a couple of local venues.

It's not the money - it's the prestige of playing a Royal Parks gig... or at least it was 8-10 years ago.
  16. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

They must have upped the figure x3 since last year if this is the case. It cost us over £400 to travel down last year and we were paid £600. :frown:
  17. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Perhaps you undersold youselves Ian :wink:
  18. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

East Sussex Concert Band will be in St James' Park on 25th August - it will be our first time there. I'm really looking forward to it. I grew up in London so I'm hoping my friends from years ago will come and see me play - they're never that keen to trek down to Eastbourne bandstand!
  19. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Maybe so but then you would have thought that we would be able to play again. On a serious note with finances always being so important it would be interesting to know what the official going rate is.

By the way, the guy that writes all the music down isn't an official checking up, he is just a "band anorak". He came over to ask us what one of the pieces was as he didn't recognise it and his notebook contained details of every performance in St James's Park going back years.
  20. IanHeard

IanHeard Member

I don`t begrudge your band a day out, but the economics of that just goes to show that engaging bands outside of London is just plain stupid!